Chapter 15

Roy and I waited patiently on top of a storage container for the thugs to show up. He didn’t tell me specifically who was running this deal, and he refuses to tell me, which is odd. We’ve been sitting here for two hours now and nothing. I sighed. “Okay what’s the deal? Why won’t you tell me who’s running this?”

    He gave me a confused look through his mask. “What do you mean?”

    “Don’t play dumb with me Roy.” I stated. “You’re hiding something from me, and you better tell me what it is before I find out for myself.”

    He sighed in defeat; he knew he couldn’t hide anything from me, so why did he? “Zucco. The man who killed yours and Dick’s parents.”

    I looked at him shocked. “H-He’s back?”

    He nodded. “I didn’t want to tell you because I knew you wouldn’t react well. I guess I thought I was protecting you.”

    Before I could answer, a boat pulled up to the end of the dock we were scouting, causing me to force Roy onto his stomach so neither of us could be seen. We watched as five thugs stepped out of the boat along with Tony Zucco. My hands clenched into fists just at the sight of him, and Roy took notice as he grabbed my right hand with his left and gave it a comforting squeeze. I eventually relaxed and unclenched my fists as an SUV pulled up with more thugs inside, along with Penguins right hand man, Loose Lips.

    “Tony Zucco.” Loose Lips said as he approached Zucco and his men. “Penguin admires your work.”   

    Zucco smiled slightly. “I send my gratitude, now my weapons.” 

    Loose Lips snapped his fingers and one of the thugs presented a case which he handed to Zucco. “And Penguins money.”

    Zucco held out his hand and as the thug was about to hand it to him, Roy shot an arrow at it, sending it backwards. They all turned to look as we jumped down ready for a fight.

    “I’ve got Looe Lips.” I told Roy. “You take Zucco.”

    He nodded and we went after our designated mobsters. Loose Lips and his men started shooting at me, but I swiftly dodged the bullets as I advanced. I took them down relatively quickly and tied them all up. I was about to turn around but a voice stopped me.

    “You’re fast.” Zucco said; turned around slowly to see Roy on his knees with Zucco pointing a gun at him. “But are you fast enough to stop my bullet from killing your friend? Come any closer and I pull the trigger.”

    I put my hands up slightly to signal that I wasn’t going to try anything…yet; I have to figure out how to get Roy out of here. Suddenly Zucco pulled the trigger, shooting Roy in the stomach, causing him to groan in pain and fall on his side.

    “No!” I screamed and tried to run to Roy’s aid, but Zucco pointed his gun at me. I used my cry to get him and his thugs to drop their guns and cover their ears. I advanced and took them all out in quick succession before tying them up; I ran to Roy’s aid and flipped him onto his back. “Roy? Roy, can you hear me?”

    I grabbed some gauze from my pocket and put pressure on his wound, causing him to groan. He opened his eyes and looked at me through his mask; he asked, “L-Lorelei?”

    “Hey, I’m here.” I replied. “Keep those beautiful blue eyes open for me.”

    He smiled weakly. “So you think my eyes are beautiful?”

    “I think a lot of things about you are beautiful.” I replied as I tried to get into contact with Dinah, Ollie, the Team, anyone to get him to the hospital fast. Wait…I quickly got into contact with Uncle Barry.

    “Hello.” He answered.

    “Uncle Barry I need your help.” I rushed out. “Roy’s been shot.”

    “Woah! Slow down, kid.” He replied. “Where are you?” 

    “The docks.” I answered and not five seconds later I felt two gushes of wind. I looked up to see Wally and Uncle Barry standing in front of me.

    “I’ll get him to the hospital.” Uncle Barry said. He turned to Wally. “You get her back to the mountain.”

    “The only place you’re taking me Wallace is to the hospital.” I said with determination. Seeing no point in arguing with me, Wally picked me up bridal style and followed Uncle Barry to the hospital. As soon as we got there, Uncle Barry started shouting. 

    “I need some help here!” He yelled. “He’s been shot!”

    Doctors and nurses started rushing towards us with a gurney and assessed the damage. They immediately took Roy to the operating room and I tried to follow, but a nurse stopped me.

    “Ma’am you can’t come back here.” She said. She then looked down at my blood-stained shirt. “Ma’am we need to get you checked out immediately.”

    “N-No.” I replied in a daze. “I-I’m fine. It’s not my blood.”

    She nodded and went through the doors to the operating room and Uncle Barry led me to the waiting room. As I sat there I stared down at my hands; they were covered in Roy’s blood along with my shirt, which I don’t even know how that happened. Uncle Barry and Wally both tried talking to me, but I didn’t listen to what they were saying. It felt like I had been staring at me blood-stained hands forever, until someone reached out and grabbed them. When I looked up to find the source I met Dinah’s concerned gaze. “D-Dinah?”

    “Come on.” She said as she helped me stand. “Let’s get you cleaned up.”

    I didn’t say anything as she led me to the ladies room and helped me get the blood off. She brought me a pair of clothes to change into which consisted of jeans, my brown leather combat boots, navy-blue pocket t-shirt, and my black leather jacket. I changed in one of the stalls and handed my blood-stained uniform to Dinah before walking into the waiting room where I saw my team in their civvies. Dick immediately got up and hugged me; I immediately hugged back and felt a few stray tears slip down my cheeks before I pulled away.

    “He’s strong Lorelei.” Dick told me. “He’ll pull through.”

    I nodded and he led me to the chairs where everyone else was. I sat down with them and waited.