Chapter 5

Dick walked over to the computer system with the three of us right behind him. He tried to get in.

    “Access denied.” The computer said.

    “Heh, wanna bet?” He snickered and I smirked. I knew he was good with tech. He started hacking the computer system.

    “Woah! How are you doing that?” Wally asked.

    “Same system as the Batcave.” Dick replied, and just like that he was in. “Alright, Project Cadmus. Genetics lab here in D.C. That’s all there is, but if Batman’s suspicious, maybe we should investigate.”

    “Solve their case before they do. It would be poetic justice.” Kaldur said.

    Wally said, “Hey, they’re all about justice.”

    “But they said stay put.” I piped in.

    “For the blotting out the sun mission, not this.” Dick said. he knew the only reason I said that is because I’d be the one to get an ear-full from Dinah and Ollie, and most likely Bruce, considering I’m the oldest of the group.

    “Wait.” Wally said breaking me from my thoughts. “Are you going to Cadmus? Because if you’re going, I’m going.”

    They both looked to Kaldur. He sighed, “Alright.”

    They all turned to me for approval. “So just like that, we’re a team on a mission?” I asked.

    Dick smirked. “We didn’t come for a play-date.” And with that we set off on our first mission together as a team.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    As we made our way towards Project Cadmus, we heard people shouting for help. As usual, Wally decided to run ahead and help the people hanging from the building. Kaldur sighed.

    “Does he always have to run ahead?” He asked.

    “Apparently.” I answered as I pinched the bridge of my nose. “We need a plan. We—Robin?”

    When I turned to the spot he occupied he wasn’t there. I sighed. “Come on. Let’s go before they get into trouble.” He nodded and we headed towards the fire truck.

    “I need to borrow that.” Kaldur said. I looked at him confused until I saw him take some water from the water hose and create a platform. “Come on.” I took his hand and we headed up towards the roof where the scientists were. “Step aboard. Now.” He told them. They got on and we stepped onto the 2nd floor where Wally and Dick were, and Kaldur let the scientists down to the ground safely.

    “Appreciate the help.” Kaldur said sarcastically towards Dick.

    Dick waved it off without looking away from the computer. “You guys handled it. Besides, we’re here to investigate. Poetic justice remember?”

    I shook my head and walked past the desk towards the hallways. I turned to my left and saw a very tall, bluish-gray creature with horns enter the elevator. ‘What the hell was that?’ I thought. I gasped involuntarily, alerting the others. “Blue what’s wrong?” Dick asked.

    “There was something in the—” I started to say but shook my head. “Never mind.” As I got my thoughts together I realized something. “This is wrong.”

    “What do you mean Blue?” Kaldur asked. I examined the elevator.

    “Thought so.” I said, confusing the others. “This is a high-speed express elevator. It doesn’t belong in a 2-story building, and neither does what I saw.”

    Kaldur walked over to the elevator and pried the doors open. He looked down and noticed how far it went. We all joined him at the elevator.

    “And that’s why they need an express elevator.” Dick said. He looked up and shot his grappling hook to the top of the elevator shaft and descended with the rest of us jumping onto his rope. Once we reached sub-level 26, we jumped towards the ledge and waited for Dick to get us in. “Bypassing security.” He mumbled to himself. “There. Go!” At that Kaldur pried the doors open. “Welcome to Project Cadmus.”

    As we all walked inside, Wally decided to run ahead again.

    “Kid, wait!” I said, but it was too late. He ran ahead and as he turned the corner these huge creatures almost crushed him. Luckily, he got out of the way fast enough and ran back towards us. We all watched in shock as the creatures passed. Once they did we entered the hallway. 

    “No. Nothing odd going on here.” Kaldur said sarcastically. We all went the opposite way of the creatures and came to another room. Dick quickly hacked the access pad and got us in. As we looked around we saw these creatures giving off an electrical charge in these pods, which connected to a giant generator hanging roughly 20 feet in the air. 

    “Okay. I’m officially whelmed.” Wally said.

    “This is how they hide this massive underground facility from the world. The real Cadmus isn’t on the grid.” I said referring to the giant generator. “It generates its own power with these things. Must be what they’re bred for.”

    “Of course.” Kaldur said. “Even the name is a clue. The Cadmus of myth created a new race by sowing dragons teeth into the earth.”

    “And this Cadmus creates new life, too.” Dick said. “Let’s find out why.” He walked over to the computer system and started hacking. “They call them genomorphs. Woah! Look at the stats on these things, super strength, telepathy, razor claws. These are living weapons!”

    “They’re engineering an army, but for who?” I asked.

    “Wait, there’s something else.” Dick said interrupting my thoughts. “Project Kr. Ugh! This file is triple encrypted. I can’t—"

    “Don’t move!” Someone yelled from behind us. Oh boy.

Thank you everyone for the support, I greatly appreciate it. If you find any mistakes let me know and I'll do my best to try and fix them.