Chapter 11

I looked out the window of the Happy Harbor high school as I said, “Miss Martian, link us up. We don’t want the Shadows intercepting our comms.”

    After a moment I heard her ask, “Everyone online?” through the mind link.

    “Ohh.” Artemis half-groaned as she sat on the desk Dr. Roquette was working at. “This is weird.”

    “And distracting.” Dr. Roquette piped in as she continued to work. “Coding a distributine algorithm virus on a kiddie computer with less RAM than a wristwatch is hard enough. Now I have to hear teen-think in my skull?”

    Wally sat on the window ledge, eating a granola bar as he asked, “Lady, do you always complain when someone tries to help you?”

    “Pot, kettle.” Artemis offered. “Have you met?”

    Wally immediately got defensive. “Hey. Hey, I do not need attitude from the newbie who drove Red Arrow off the Team.”

    Artemis stood up and pointed at him. “That is so not on me.”

    “Fate of the world at stake.” Dr. Roquette reminded them, trying not to get too angry.

    “How about I just help Superboy and Miss Martian patrol the perimeter?” Artemis asked already walked out of the room.

    “Good idea.” I said trying not to sound too stressed about the situation.

    “I couldn’t get the Justice League.” Dr. Roquette grumbles before going back to coding.

    “The virus won’t do us much good if we can’t find the weapon.” I said as I moved to stand behind her. “Can you track it?”

    “My utility fog is not a weapon.” She defended quickly as she turned towards me. “It’s science, brilliant science, and of course I can track it, but I’d have to go online. Might as well rent a billboard with this address and “Assassinate me” written in neon.”

    “We will protect you.” I promised as I placed a hand on her shoulder.

    She pressed the enter key on the keyboard before saying, “Tracking fog now.”

    After a few minutes we got a location and I said, “Miss Martian, Dr. Roquette has located the Fog. Reconfigure the Bioship so that Robin and Superboy can pursue.”

    A moment of silence went by before she replied, “Ready.”

    I give Dick a nod and he ran out of the room. I stood behind the doctor as she continued to work while Aqualad stood on the far wall. I heard the door creak slightly as it opened. A shuriken was thrown and I swiftly caught it before it hit me or the doctor. Dr. Roquette moved to stand, but I stopped her by saying, “Doctor, get down!”

    I turn to see Cheshire in the doorway. She throws two more towards the doctor, but Kaldur was quick to react and he took both of them. Cheshire appears completely in the room as she wields her weapons, ready to fight. “Hmm. That had to hurt.”

    Kaldur pulled the shuriken’s out of his arm as he replied, “Atlantean skin is quite dense.”

    He pulled out his water bearers and formed dual swords just in time to block Cheshire’s attack.

    “And my shuriken are quite poisoned.” She replied and her and Kaldur began to fight.

    “M’Gann, Kid, Artemis, we’re under attack in the computer lab.” I called out into the mind link.   

    “We’re on our way.” Artemis answered. I kept Dr. Roquette behind me as Kaldur continued his battle with Cheshire. She threw another shuriken and I grabbed a nearby box to block it.

    “Don’t. Move.” Artemis said slowly as she stepped into the room, bow at the ready.

    Cheshire chuckled. “Things are getting interesting.” Artemis started shooting at Cheshire and she blocked all of them M’Gann and Wally walked into the room causing Cheshire to step back. “Maybe a little too interesting.”

    She dropped a smoke pellet and Wally tried to go after her, but he was too late. Cheshire was gone.

    “Gone.” He grunted as the smoke dissipated. He turned to Artemis. “This was all your fault. You were on the perimeter! How’d that Shadow get in?”

    Artemis just glared at him.

    “That’s not really fair.” M’Gann said as she walked up to them. “I was outside too.”

    “Outside being distracted by her.” He retaliated; his tone turned flirtatious as he continued. “Besides, I can’t be mad at you. You gave me mouth-to-mouth.”

    “We heard that!” Artemis snapped angrily, while even Kaldur seemed quite annoyed.

    “Dang it!” Wally exclaimed as he walked away.

    “I didn’t do half as well on my first battle.” M’Gann said to Artemis as she placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “And I know you can’t have been Green Arrow’s sidekick for very long.”

    “Focus everyone.” I interrupted. “The Shadows will be back.”

    Suddenly the coms beeped. “Robin to Blue Sparrow” Dick said catching my attention.

    “Go ahead, Robin.” I answered.

    “We’re too late.” He said. “It’s destroyed, totally destroyed.”

    “The Fog decimated it.” Superboy cut in.

    “This is bad.” Dick continued. “S.T.A.R. Labs is cutting edge science, and now their secrets are in the hands of the enemy.”

    “What’s our next move?” Superboy asked.

    I looked back at Dr. Roquette. “Recon for that Fog. Find it. We’re moving the doctor.”

    We quickly moved the doctor to a, hopefully, more secure location. Miss Martian and I watched the perimeter while Kaldur, Artemis, and Wally stayed inside with the doctor. After a few moments I said, “Stop it, both of you!” into the mind link to Wally and Artemis.

    “What?” They asked at the same time.   

    “I can hear you glaring.” I replied as I moved through the tree line towards Miss M. “Miss M., stay in camouflage mode and make a wide perimeter sweep.”

    She slightly nodded and floated off. Suddenly some red vines wrapped around me and dragged me into the trees. I got kicked out and into a van leaving a dent. I looked up to see Black Spider walk towards the building. As soon as I stood to advance someone hit me in the back of the head, knocking me out cold.

Also, if you guys see any mistakes, let me know!