Chapter 23

Everyone was doing research for a few hours now, and I think I’ve found something.

    “Cadmus engineered these mind-controlling bio-nanotech chips.” I said. “That’s how the League is being controlled. Robin you think you could create an anti-virus?”

    He nodded and quickly got to work. While I did more research on Cadmus and their involvement with the Light, I found that they have many different locations scattered across the world. If the real Roy is alive, it’ll take us a while to find him. But for now, we need to focus on getting the League back in control of their actions.

    “Got it!” Dick exclaimed, catching my attention. “I managed to create an anti-virus nano chip for each Leaguer. The only problem is getting them onto the nape of their necks.”

    “We can figure that out later.” I replied. “For now M’Gann, Superboy, Artemis, your with me to find Red Arrow. The rest of you find a way to get Red Tornado back online.”

    Everyone nodded as Connor, M’Gann, Artemis and I set out in the Bioship to find Roy.

    “Where to first.” M’Gann asked.

    “D.C.” I simply answered; she nodded and set off to D.C. in stealth mode. We were just passing the Hall of Justice when Connor spoke up.

    “Computer logs say he zetaed to the Hall from the Watchtower.” He said. “But he could be anywhere by now.”

    “After Roy went solo he installed equipment caches in several major cities.” I explained as we got closer to the run-down apartment complex. “One of them is here.” M’Gann landed on the roof and I stood up to face them. “Wait here.”

    They all nodded as I left the Bioship and headed inside the building. I headed to the room where he keeps his equipment and tried to open the door; it was locked, so I kicked it in to find Roy at the end of the room aiming an arrow at my chest.

    “Take it easy Roy.” I said as I slightly put my hands up. “I’m not here to hurt you, but the Team needs answers.”

    “Me first.” He countered as I slowly approached him. “Tell me something you haven’t told anyone else.”

    I sighed. “When we were sixteen I told you about this guy at school who tried to…tried to do things with me and you got so angry at the guy that you broke his nose. The sad thing is that he started out as my friend, but now the love of my life and my best friend is aiming an arrow at my chest.”

    He put his bow down and embraced me, I immediately embraced him back. He released me from the embrace and kissed me passionately yet gently, as if he were afraid he’d hurt me. I kissed back and once our lips parted I led him to the Bioship and we started heading back to the cave. As we flew I said, “We were told you were the mole, but we have reason to doubt.”

    “Forget doubt.” Roy replied. “I was the mole.”

    “Batman and Tornado said you were a Cadmus clone like me.” Superboy commented.

    Roy sighed. “That explains it. I was a sleeper agent pre-programmed to infiltrate the League. I…think Sportsmaster was my handler. Yeah, key phrase; ‘Broken Arrow’ it shut me down, put me in a hypnotic state to steal secrets from his superiors or incorporate further programming. I then carry out all orders subconsciously, completely unaware of what drove me. I think one of those orders was to focus suspicion on the three of you. I’m sorry.”

    “You didn’t know.” I replied. “But how did Batman discover this, and prevent you from betraying the League?”

    “He didn’t.” Roy answered. That’s when I realized…

    “The bio-nanotech chips!” I exclaimed. “Savage must’ve used you to implant the chips into the League, giving him complete control of them. Robin created some anti-viral nanochip to place on the League. The only problem is giving it to them.”

    Suddenly the rest of the team got picked up in the Bioship with Dinah tied and gagged. I gasped, “Dinah?” I looked back at M’Gann. “Link us.”

    She nodded and after linking all of us she asked, “Everyone online?”

    Everyone replied with some form of ‘yes’ before I continued, “Good. Rob, now might be a good time to use those nanochips.”

    “Already done.” He replied as Dinah drifted into unconsciousness. “We need a plan.”

    Everyone was silent as they thought, until Roy spoke up. “Send me in.”

    Everyone looked at him shocked. I asked, “What do you mean?”

    “Send me in as a distraction.” He clarified. “If I go in with Tornado and Dinah we can distract Savage while the rest of you sneak in and cure the rest of the League.”

    “But that runs the risk of all three of you getting infected again.” I countered. I thought for a moment. “I’m sure they’re keeping track of who’s infected and who’s not.”

    “Do you have a better idea?” He asked, causing me to sigh. He grabbed my hands and made me look at him. “Look, I know the risks and I know that you and your Team will get us out. I trust you, now trust me.”

    “It’s not that I don’t trust you; it’s that I don’t want to lose you.” I sighed. “Okay, let’s do it.”

    Dinah eventually woke up and we formulated our plan to infiltrate the Watchtower.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

    We infiltrated the Watchtower and sure enough the three of them got infected again, at least that’s what Savage thinks. It gave us valuable time to cure the rest of the League without being detected. We ran into a few snags but we eventually made our way to the main area where Klarion and Savage just disappeared into one of Klarion’s portals. 

    “Congratulations Team.” Red Tornado congratulated us. “You have won this day.”

    As soon as he said that the computer popped up a notification for the New Year. Wally picked Artemis up and kissed her, Connor kissed M’Gann, Zatanna kissed Dick, and Rocket kissed Kaldur on the cheek. Someone tapped me on the shoulder grabbing my attention, when I turned around I saw Roy with a smirk on his face. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, causing him to wrap his around my waist. I leaned up and kissed him, filling it with as much love and passion that I felt for him, and he kissed back.

    “Best New Year’s ever.” I said as soon as our lips parted.

    “Couldn’t agree more.” He replied before kissing me again.