Chapter 19

Once Roy and I made it to our train cart, I embraced Dick into a bone-crushing hug. Once I pulled away he looked at me confused.

    “What was that for?” He asked.

    “Nothing; I just needed it.” I replied.

    He smiled. “You look better.”

    “I feel better.” I replied. I looked towards M’Gann who looked very ill. “I’m sorry, Me—Dawn. I hope you didn’t catch it from me.”

    “I feel so silly.” She chuckled. “Who knew a Martian could be vulnerable to a human virus?”

    This really got me thinking. “When did you first feel sick?”

    “Just after boarding the train; it came on suddenly.” She answered.

    “Same with me the other night.” I mumbled. “I remember Ray rubbed my head for good luck right before we went on.”

    “Ray? The roustabout?” Roy asked to which I nodded.

    “He touched her before we boarded.” Connor cut in.

    “The guy must be a walking Petri dish.” Artemis added.

    “Yeah, maybe.” I said, deep in thought. As soon as we stopped I made my way towards Haly.

    Once we saw me he said, “Deana! You look refreshed.”

    “Thanks.” I smiled. “Jack, how long has Ray worked for you?”

    He thought for a moment. “A bit about the start of the European tour. Poor lad’s down with the same flu as the rest of them.”

    “I’ll check on him.” I said. “It’s the least I can do.”

    He nodded his head. “If you insist.”

    I made my way towards Ray’s train car with the others following I turned to M’Gann as she tried to stand. “You should stay in bed. Save your strength.”

    “As friend of mine said, ‘I’ll manage’.” She replied. We opened Ray’s cart and noticed he wasn’t there.

    “Well I guess he wasn’t that sick.” Roy said. We suddenly heard what sounded like an elephant off in the distance. “Does this circus have an elephant I don’t know about?”

    “Not on foreign tours.” I answered. We made our way over to the elephant car and sighed. “Empty.”

    “No, wait!” Dick said before I closed the car. “Ash. Warehouse fire in Bruges!”

    “Uh, guys?” Roy grabbed our attention. “I found Ray.”

    We looked where he was looking and saw Ray tied up and gagged. I walked up to him and took the gag out of his mouth.

    “Split up! Search the whole train.” I commanded and everyone split up. As I untied Rays hands I asked, “Who did this to you?”

    “The clown. Right after the train left Bruges.” He explained. Once I untied him, I started making my way towards the others.

    “M’Gann.” I tried through the mind link. When I got no answer, I used my communicator. “Dawn, come in.”

    “Uh, Deana?” She asked. “I tried to reach you the other way. I think the flu’s knocked out my other way.”

    “Dean, Dwayne, Diane, Dan, Come in! We’re chasing someone who’s stolen ‘Dawn’s act’. Her whole shtick if you catch my drift.” I explained into the communicator. 

    It was silent for a moment until Connor spoke up. “I got him! But he’s on to me. Exiting the dining car now.” He explained. I made my way towards the dining car when Connor spoke up again. “He’s gone top side!”

    As I made my way to the top of the train car, I heard Connor say, “That won’t work on me clown!”

    “That’s no clown.” I said as I made it to the top of the car. “He’s the Parasite! The guy who once stole Superman’s powers.”

    “As if you kids are who you claim to be. Please.” Parasite said as everyone else climbed onto the car. 

    “Stay out of his reach! There’s no flu going around. The weakness comes when he makes physical contact and feeds on the powers and abilities of others.” I continued.

    “I happen to be a bit of a glutton today.” Parasite said. “Chowed on the skills of nearly every loser in this troupe. But, oh my, but the interesting one was Dawn Danger, or whatever her real name is. Thought I’d pouch on her trapeze skills. Imagine my surprise when she tasted like Martian Manhunter instead. She made a lovely appetizer but guess who I want for my entrée.”

    Parasite used M’Gann’s telekinesis to bring Connor to him; Connor groaned as Parasite took his abilities. “Mmm. Now that’s the full body Kryptonian taste I love.” He dropped Connor and suddenly used heat vision to fry Roy’s and Artemis’ bows. Then he turned to me. “Let’s give you a little taste shall we.” He used telekinesis to bring me towards him; I groaned as he took my abilities. “Oh my. You taste just like your mother, Lorelei.”

    I was shocked. “H-How—”

    “You have more power than you know, kid.” He said as he dropped me. I was so weak I couldn’t stand up. “Hate to eat and run.” He flew off carrying the case with him. Dick jumped on it and tried to grab Parasite. “Sorry, no hitch-hikers.” 

    He punched Dick and flew away. Dick was about to fall off the train until M’Gann caught him and Roy and Artemis helped her pull him up.

    “Lorelei!” Roy shouted as he ran towards me. “M’Gann did the same for Connor. “You okay?” I didn’t answer and that made him concerned. “Lorelei? What did he say to you?”

    I finally looked up at him. “He knew who I was.” He looked at me shocked. “He knew my mother.”