Chapter 16

Ask and you shall receive.

   We’ve been waiting to hear from the doctor’s about Roy’s condition for five hours now, and nothing. I’ve been pacing for the past two hours while nervously biting my nails. It got to the point where I wasn’t paying attention to my surroundings and bumped into Superboy, causing me to look up at him.

    “He’s going to be fine Lorelei.” He said as he grabbed my shoulders. “I’ve been monitoring his heart rate; he’s fine. You’re no good to him if you keep on like this.”

    “He’s right.” Wally said. “You’ve been up for at least twelve hours now; you’re tired. Get some rest.”

  “I’ll rest after I’m one hundred percent sure he’s alright.” I said. “Not that I don’t trust you Connor, but I just need to be sure for myself.”

   He simply nodded, sighed, and sat back down. A few minutes later a nurse came into the waiting room.

   “Roy Harper?” She asked, causing the team to stand up and me to stop pacing.

    “How is he?” I asked as I approached the nurse.

   She smiled and led us back into his hospital room. “He’s sleeping right now, but he’s doing fine. He’s definitely a fighter, and I can see that he has a lot to fight for.”

    She opened his door and we went in, me pulling up a chair and sitting by his bed. I grabbed his hand which was slightly cold, but all things considered he looked good for a guy that just got shot. As I looked at his sleeping form I realized something; what happened in the exercise almost became a reality. I bit my lip to try and hold back my sobs. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder; when I looked up I saw Dick giving me a reassuring smile, causing me to lightly smile back.

    “We’re gonna head back to the mountain.” He said. “Let us know if you need anything.”

  I nodded. “Thank you.”

  With that they all left for the mountain, leaving me in Roy’s hospital room. I eventually fell asleep, hoping that when I woke up he’d be awake too.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Roy’s P.O.V.

    I woke up to an annoying beeping sound; as I listened I could tell it was a heart monitor. ‘What the hell happened?’ As I started to regain feeling in my body I felt a light pressure on my right hand. When I turned to look for the source I saw Lorelei curled up in a chair asleep holding my hand. I lightly squeezed her hand, causing her to wake up. When her eyes landed on me she looked relieved and jumped up to hug me; I immediately hugged back.

   “Thank God you’re okay!” She exclaimed. “I was so worried.”

    I lightly chuckled and pulled away. As I looked into her tearful blue eyes I asked, “What happened?”

   “Zucco shot you.” She explained. “I should’ve done something.”

    “There’s nothing you could’ve done Lorelei.” I told her as I cupped her face gently. “Don’t let my mistakes give you a reason to feel guilty. This is on me; I got sloppy and they took advantage of it. this is not your fault.”   

   “You don’t get sloppy Roy.” She said. I could tell that this was eating her up, so I did the one thing that I’ve been waiting to do for a long time; I kissed her.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
Lorelei’s P.O.V.

    Before I could bat an eyelash Roy’s lips were on mine. I was shocked at first, but slowly eased into it and kissed back. As things started to get heated I ended up straddling him and wrapping my arms around his neck, while his went around my waist. We reluctantly pulled away and stared into each other’s eyes; I smiled, causing him to smile back.

    “I’ve been waiting so long to do that.” He admitted.

“Me too.” I replied. “How long?”

  “Ever since the day I met you.” He said. “There’s something else that I meant to tell you earlier. I think…I think there could be a mile inside your team.”

    I looked at him shocked. A mole? It would explain how the enemy knows our next move. “We’ll figure this out Roy. We always do, right?”

   He chuckled. “Always Lorelei. In the meantime, will you be my girlfriend?”

    I smiled, leaned in, and kissed him passionately. Once we separated I asked, “Does that answer your question?”

    “I don’t know. You may have to try again.” He said with a smirk. I laughed and kissed him again, wrapping my arms around his neck and his tightening around my waist. Before things got heated my phone went off; I pulled away from Roy, causing him to grumble in disappointment, and reached for my phone. It was a text from Bruce.

    ‘I need you back at the cave now.’ It said.

   I quickly replied. ‘Okay, I’m on my way.’

   “I have to go.” I said as I looked back at Roy. He sighed in disappointment, causing me to giggle. “I’ll be back later, I promise.”

   I kissed him quickly and walked out of his hospital room and to a zeta tube just outside. It recognized me and sent me to the cave/mountain. Once I got there it was just Bruce in his Batman suit waiting for me. 

   “What’s the problem?” I asked as I approached him.

    “It seems we have a mole here in the cave.” He explained.

  “Yeah, Roy just told me about his suspicions.” I answered. “What are we going to do?”

  “For now, continue normal behavior.” He instructed. “Investigate secretly; no one else is to know about this.”

  “Got it. I’ll let you know the moment I know something solid.” I replied. with that he nodded and left, leaving me to think about potential suspects. So far I’ve narrowed it down to three potential suspects; Superboy, Miss M., and Artemis. They’re the newest members of the team and each have their share of secrets. The only problem is narrowing it down to just one of them.

  “Lorelei!” I turned to see Dick and the others waiting for me. “We’re goin got the movies. Wanna come?”

“Yeah, sure.” I answered, following them out of the cave. This is going to be tough.