Chapter 13

Millions of reasons were buzzing in my head as to why Katarina wanted an audience with me. But one thing I was most certain that these possibly had in common was that they had to do with Darien, her prized possession. Everything that he asked for as a child, from more food to a new servant, he got without a blink of an eye. Luckily, I didn’t learn the hard way in realizing that her love for me was nonexistent; the way she looked at me and talked about me when I was in the same room as her said it all. At the beginning of my reign, the tension between us as we walked passed the other in a corridor was evident, but you know the best part was that she had to curtsy one way or another.

     My near-skipping came to a fast walk as I moved towards my chambers, giving a nod of acknowledgement and a soft smile at those who passed by. Just as I was reaching the end of the long corridor before I made a left and reached my destination, a commotion from behind me caused me to stop.

     “But I really want to meet her! She’s a queen! And she’s so pretty,” said a child’s voice. I turned to find the youngest of Francis’ sisters, Harper I believe, struggling from the fierce hold of Juliette. Poor Juliette tried to keep the girl calm, giving apologetic glances at some of the disturbed court members nearby.

     “Harper, I told you. Queen Eleanor is a very busy woman, yes I understand that you want to see her but – no, Harper you can’t go find her right now – Why? Because she might be busy -,” said Juliette as she tried to console her sister. I didn’t want to intrude, and I was running late, so I turned quickly back onto my path and tried to make an escape when an excited scream echoed from all ends of the corridor.

     “QUEEN ELEANOR!!!,” shouted Harper, and by the time I turned around with a smile to cover the pain that went through my ears, the little girl was already tugging at the skirt of my dress, looking up at me with eager eyes. Juliette looked from me to Harper in shock, trying to put words in her mouth.

     “Your majesty, I am so sorry! Harper has been wanting to meet you since she was asleep at the docks, and -,” I gently raised my hand to stop her.

     “It’s all right, Princess Juliette, no harm done,” I said as I knelt down to Harper’s height, my dress bunching up a bit at the bottom. She grinned at me and my heart melted for this little girl. Crossing my arms to help balance myself, I gave a soft smile.

“I – its s-s-so nice to m – me – meet you,” stuttered Harper as she turned red, turning her eyes down to her fingers. I looked up at Juliette who gave me a weak smile as I tried to think of a reply.

“You know Harper, I have to go get ready for the ball tonight but how about this. You’ll be my first dance of the night. How does that sound?” She squealed while nodding rapidly, and I rose up, surprised to see some court members looking at what had just transpired. I lightly patted Harper’s head, nodding with a smile in response to Juliette who mouthed a silent thank you. I gave Harper a sweet smile before returning to finish my way to Katarina.

As I have said before, Katarina and I have never been, nor ever will be, on good terms. For her to request an audience would be something out of the ordinary, but at this time and hour, I way on high alert. What she has in store for me is yet to be uncovered.

Walking into my chambers, I saw that Buckingham was already waiting at the door that connected to my office, where Katarina waited. I was about to open the door when he gently grabbed my arm.

“There are guards waiting outside the office doors, Eleanor. Precautions have already been made, just as you have ordered,” he said. That’s right, I thought. I had told him to do so as I was getting ready to meet Veronica.