Chapter 26

Hello all! Yes, the wait is over! Not only is this a new chapter for The First Queen but I also have some more exciting news at the bottom once you're done reading this latest chapter. Enjoy!

"I want at least fifty foot soldiers at every post. Make sure their commanding officers understand what to do if the worst comes."

     "Yes, your Majesty."

     "Everyone from the lowest ranking soldier to the highest commander must be on high alert. The two boats we will be using will have only the light from the enemy ships as a guide and, if we are blessed with one clear night, the moon. Nothing can go wrong, McCormick. We only have one chance."

     "Whatever happens, your Majesty," said McCormick as we walked through the endless lines of white tents that stood as temporary homes from my men and Francis', "I shall fight alongside you and King Francis as I did many years ago with your father, God rest his soul."

     I acknowledged his loyalty with a nod. "Thank you, McCormick. Now, we have just about another thirty minutes before the sun fully sets and then we wait to depart."

************************************************************************

     The sky was still shrouded by the clouds like yesterday. The grey was getting darker by the minute. I just pray that by God's grace the clouds clear.

     "Row together, men! Do not slap the water! The water is our friend, lads," McCormick quietly hissed from time to time since the two boats left the cove. It was black all around us. Pitch black. Memories of how scared I'd be when it was dark out with no moon flooded back. Yet, I have learned many things about the darkness. One may use it as a shield, as we are doing right now as we move with the mellow waves towards the lit, moving ships. Or, one may enter into the darkness without knowledge of what to expect, and fall prey to whatever lies there that has waiting for its next victim. Like all things I was afraid of, I learned to overcome the darkness; I used it to my advantage. That's the thing that many people don't learn to do. They don't know that what is being used against them can quickly be used to help them. It's all strategy and fast-thinking. If someone does in fact do this, he or she must always be thinking ahead.

     The rowboats had been painted black, and the soldiers along with Francis and myself were dressed in the color. I knew I would most likely have to wield my sword, so I had my hair pulled back in a braid, black trousers clung to my legs and a long black shirt to my chest underneath my armor. I clung with one hand onto the edge of the rowboat and other to reassure myself that my sword was there by my side.

     There was no denying that anxiety was eating away at me. I've never been like this. My mind was not restless. I didn't feel sick. Probably the fact that I must eliminate the enemy, that is, Darien, before he can try and eliminate me again. He has made it quite clear that he will do whatever it takes to sit his arse upon the throne, even if that means making a blood bath. However, I think that he has underestimated me. As I have said, I have learned to adapt. I have learned to outdo. And I have learned to outsmart.

     My eyes raked over the larger ships that we advanced over to. I knew which one was our target: a large naval ship, much larger than the others around it. The distinct feature that would give it away at night was its eighty foot mast instead of the typical fifty to sixty foot one. That's the good news.