xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙽𝚒𝚗𝚎𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 |xx

I stepped back from the granite counter in the bathroom to stare at my reflection in the mirror. It was so odd to see myself in formal attire—a long, navy-blue gown that hugged my body; white, satin gloves; and a pearl necklace to accessorize. I wore a double dose of make-up, one to make me look like I was in my thirties, the other to add some splashes of pink to my cheeks and eyelids. It felt like it took me an eternity to get ready for the dinner party that Mr. and Mrs. Bachaniello had invited the crew to, located in their hotel suite.

I glanced at the silver watch that I had been given to wear for special occasions. My usual one was too beat up and coarse for a refined outing. The dainty, black hands of the watch pointed to 7:55. I was right on schedule. I had given myself an entire half-hour to get ready, and I had needed every second of it.

I smoothed my dress one final time, then headed to the front of the hotel room. Dari was sitting criss-cross on her bed, hacking away at her computer.

"Dari, I'm heading out now," I announced.

Dari stared intently at her computer screen. "Uh-huh."

"I'll be back later on," I said.

"Kay." She sounded like a robot. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if she had turned into one, based on the company she kept.

"Your curfew is eight o'clock," I tried.

"Yup."

"Make that five p.m."

"Uh-huh."

"I'm the real Agent X."

"Kay."

I snickered. I suppose that nothing can disturb her concentration.

"Bye, have fun at the beauty pageant tonight."

Dari's head snapped up, eyes wide. "What?!"

I couldn't help myself. I burst into laughter. Dari just stared at me like a deer in headlights. I laughed so hard that I could barely breathe. My laughter quickly turned to coughing as my lungs gasped for air. Dari's face settled into a scowl.

"What?" she demanded.

"That's what gets your attention?" I wheezed.

"Wait what?"

"I've been talking to you this entire time."

Dari frowned. "Oh...really?"

"Um, yeah. I told you that your curfew was five o'clock and that I am the real Agent X."

Now Dari laughed. "Sorry, I just was super interested in some information that I found. I've been reading through some of the case files on our suspects, and apparently, Sofia Lopez, the ambassador of Mexico, was supposed to arrive yesterday, but was delayed."

Hmm, sounds like something she'd do. I tried doing what Dari had done a few minutes ago. "Uh-huh."

"You know, the file said that the imposter was supposed to arrive two days ago."

"Yes."

"So she's in the running," Dari finished, a triumphant grin on her face.

"Yes, she is. Good thing you checked on it. Did you discover anything more?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact I did. But it will have to wait until you get back from the dinner party."

"Okay, cool. See you later."

"Yeah, see ya."

I slipped into the three inch silver heels I was supposed to wear with the outfit. My ankles wobbled in the spindly excuses for shoes. How are women able to constantly wear these? To me, it was one of life's greatest mysteries.