xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝚂𝚒𝚡 |xx

Water splashed over my face, running down my cheeks and dripping into the sink. Eyes closed, I fumbled for the towel lying on the edge of the sink. The soft fibers of the cloth absorbed the droplets from my face, leaving my skin cool to the touch. My bleary eyes opened to look in the mirror. Puffy, purplish circles hung under my eyes. My jaw stretched into a yawn. Jeez, I'm tired.

Last night's chase was exhausting. Adrenaline sustained me during the chase, but as soon as the cab arrived to take us back to the hotel, my energy crashed. I nearly went to bed in my makeup and dress, but Dari refused to let me go to bed until I had changed into my pajamas.

I ran a comb through my hair. The teeth of the comb caught on knots in my hair, but I didn't bother to tease them out. I still could hardly believe it. To think that I had let my guard down and almost allowed a second imposter slip through my fingers...

The real Agent X wouldn't have done that. She wouldn't have let her guard down, even for a second. Even when she's not on a mission, she still is alert, watching, waiting. And you...you joke around with Ty and Finn every chance you get. You are a joke. What are you capable of doing? All you were able to accomplish only because of the real Xara's memories. You're a phony, an imposter, just like the WAOIC agents...

My first slammed on the bathroom sink. Pain shot through my hand.

No! I screamed internally. This is not how I am going to end my final day in Belgium! I may never return here. You need to leave good, positive memories to sustain you the rest of your life.

"Xara? You good?" Dari called from the other room.

I sucked in a breath. "Yeah, I just dropped something on the floor."

Dari didn't say anything more. Whether or not she believed me was debatable.

I peered into the mirror. This was the first time I had really looked at myself without the aging make-up since starting the mission. My skin felt bare without it. I looked so young, so naive, not at all like the wise thirty-five-year-old Xara.

Would the others still respect and listen to me, even if I didn't look like the older Xara?

"Xara, are you ready to go? We're checking out of the hotel soon."

I glanced at my watch. Gosh! It was already ten minutes to nine.

"Just a minute," I said. I quickly applied my makeup. The brushstrokes had grown familiar after so many days of use. I had gotten the routine down to five minutes. When I finished, I quickly packed the various containers into my bag and exited the bathroom.

"Grab your stuff," Dari said. I pulled Xara's red trench coat over my shoulders. Its earthy smell had faded throughout the trip, like a memory dulling into the subconscious. I took a moment to drink in the remnant of her scent. Before I knew it, it would all be gone.

"What are you waiting for?" Dari asked.

I jumped. "Sorry! Let's go!" I grabbed my suitcase and tossed my makeup bag inside.

Dari squinted at me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, of course," I said, forcing my voice to be steady. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"You just seem a little off," Dari said. "Do you want to talk about anything?"

That's a first. Dari had never said that to Xara.

"Naw, I'm good," I insisted. "Let's head out." I opened the door for Dari, and, after one last look, exited the room.

Ty's smirk greeted me in the hallway.