xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝙵𝚘𝚞𝚛 |xx

Director Rokmond sat behind the glass desk in his office. Neat stacks of manila folders formed rows on either side. A pager buzzed beside him.

"Director Rokmond, Professor Endals is here to see you," his secretary informed him.

"Send him in," Rokmond said.

The automated office doors parted for a man in a wrinkled, white lab coat. His brown hair pointed in all directions, and a few wrinkles had indented his face due to age and continual stress.

"Please be seated," Director Rokmond said.

The Professor sat down in the black-upholstered chair in front of the desk and placed a manila folder on the table.

"I got the information you wanted," the Professor said.

"Good. And what did you learn?" The Director leaned back in his chair, resting one leg on the other.

"Actually, our discoveries have been quite intriguing. First of all, we inspected the plane that Team Summit flew to Belgium. Upon inspecting the technical aspects of the plane, I have determined that there is no way that WAOIC could have known that it was our plane."

"Really?" the Director said.

"Really. The smokescreen that we set up for the plane should have worked."

"Fascinating," Rokmond remarked. "So you're saying that they shouldn't have been able to recognize and target our plane?"

"Exactly. It looked like any other standard American Airlines jet."

"So they somehow had a way of knowing that it was us? Perhaps some sort of special technology?"

"Perhaps," Endals said. He slid a bundle of crisp, white papers from the file, each covered in black ink. "This basically will tell you everything I just said."

"Thank you." The Director took the papers from Endals hand and began flipping through them.

"But we've actually discovered more than that, Director," Endals said.

"Oh really?"

"Yes. Remember when you gave me Team Summit's tech equipment used on the mission Agent 24 was captured during?"

"Yes."

"We have been investigating it for almost a week now. Early this morning, we had a breakthrough."

"Go on."

The Professor took in a deep breath. "Agent 24 sent a distress signal to her crew, asking for their help."

Director Rokmond uncrossed his leg and sat up straight. "What?"

"Yes, she pressed the red button, the code signal that should have alerted her crew that something was wrong. It activated Operation Volta. Agent 24 called it."

The Director stared down at his desk for a moment, pondering this new development.

"And yet her crew never got the message?" the Director finally said.

"Yes, it was deflected by a defect in the radios. It seems that the devices were tampered with."

"How did you discover this?"

"Sir, nothing on the web is lost forever. It can be brought up from the deep expanses of the net."

The Director exhaled. "Only myself and Team Summit knew of this operation to get the file. It must have been one of them."

"I know, I was rather stunned by the information myself."

The Director shook his head. His fist slammed on the table with a resounding crack. Endals jumped.

"I just can't believe that one of them would do it," Rokmond said. "I just can't believe that one of them is a mole."

"I find it difficult to believe, too, sir."

"Dari would be the most logical choice," Rokmond muttered. "She's the techy. But Finn is very good with wiring things, too. After all, he deals with all of the plane tech. Jax, he's been here centuries. He knows how everything works. And Ty...well, I suppose anything's possible with Ty."

Endals cleared his throat. "You're forgetting one person, sir."

The Director's gaze shot up. "Who?"

"Agent X."

Rokmond stared blankly at Endals.

"What do you mean? You think Xara staged her own kidnapping?"

"Anything is possible, sir."

Rokmond sighed. "You know what the terrible thing is? You're right. We cannot eliminate her as a suspect." Her rose from his chair and took a few steps to the left. "The setup is too perfect. Xara enters alone, and then she is captured by WAOIC. And as usual, she thinks ahead about the distress signal, tampering with the gear so it isn't received, but can still be found upon investigation, incriminating an innocent member of Team Summit."

"The only question would be why."

"Why? If she really did do this, it would mean that she's a sell out to WAOIC."

"But why would she sell out to WAOIC?"

Rokmond paced across his office a few more times. "I don't know. But then again, it's impossible to know anything when it comes to Xara."

"What about the others?" Endals asked.

"They have more of a motive. Xara gets far more attention than the others, even though they play a significant role in the cases."

"But is that a reason to join WAOIC?"

"I don't know. But I'm sure we'll find out once we discover the mole." Rokmond stopped in front of his chair, staring right at Endals. "We'll need Xara's clone to figure it out. She's the only one we know is not involved with WAOIC."