xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢-𝙾𝚗𝚎 |xx

The image of her gold bracelet appeared in my mind. I whipped around just in time to see a man dressed in khakis and a blue shirt racing down the street.

"Dari, get the details. Ty, come with me. Finn...try to get a car," I commanded. I raced down the sidewalk, adrenaline building in my veins. There wasn't a moment to pause to think. I just had to catch the thief.

I didn't check to see if Ty had followed me. I could hear his feet pounding behind me. I just had to hope that Finn and Dari were doing as they were told. Quit being an idiot. Of course they're doing as you told them. The bigger concern is whether Finn is going to be able to find someone willing to lend a car. The odds were against it, but if he was able to get one, it would be a tremendous asset.

In the hazy distance, I saw the blue shirt disappear around a corner up ahead. I accelerated my pace, making a sharp turn to the right. A herd of tourists stood right in front of me. My eyes fell on a narrow opening right in the center of the group.

"Excuse me!" I yelled. They all screamed, but I ran right through them.

The man in the khakis was now running across the street. Cars were racing down four lanes of traffic, but if I timed it right, I could make it. I waited for a single car to pass, then bolted diagonally across the street. A car zoomed in front of me, another behind, missing by mere inches. Horns blared, but I had already made it to the other side. I forced my legs to keep pumping, to keep moving in the direction of the thief. He had darted around another corner, and I followed suit, catching sight of his blue shirt in front of me.

I could no longer feel Ty at my side. He must have gotten lost or something. Now wasn't the time to worry about him. I kept my eye on the man in the blue shirt.

He kept running, right towards a wooden fence. At the last moment, he leapt into the air and scaled the fence. I propelled myself faster, going full speed towards the fence. I kept my eye on the top of the fence. Three, two, one... I sprang up, my hand grasping the rail of the fence. My arms projected me over. I went free falling to the ground. I bent my knees just as my feet made impact with concrete, landing in a squat.

I jumped to my feet and sprinted forward, through a vacant parking lot. I spotted the thief a little ways away, climbing from a dumpster of trash onto a brick wall, and subsequently landing on the opposite side. I grabbed the edge of the trashcan, my arms and adrenaline vaulting me over the wall. I suddenly saw a small tree growing on the other side, right in my path. I flew into the branches. They gave way instantly from the force.

"AH!" I screamed. I fell to the ground, landing hard on my backside. My lungs screamed for air, for I pushed myself up and ran through a small field to the neighboring street. I saw the thief dashing across the empty lanes. I raced after him. Thank you, cars, for not driving on this road at the moment.

He kept running down the street, bumping into civilians and earning a number of curse words being yelled at him. I kept on his tail. A florist was selling flowers from a small cart. The thief ran past just as she was handing a bouquet to a customer, making the bundle drop to the ground. I sidestepped the flowers.

"Sorry!" I called out. Hopefully they heard me.

The thief's head turned around, his brown eyes focusing in on me. Yes, I am still following you. Yes, you will be returning that bracelet to its rightful owner.

For a moment, his feet faltered, and he nearly tumbled to the ground. But he regained his balance with expert precision.

My watch began vibrating. A quick glimpse of the caller id told me that it was Ty. At least they had the sense to call me instead of sending a text. I wasn't talented enough to read and run at the same time. I accepted the call.