xx| 𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚂𝚒𝚡 |xx

"Go to the seventeenth floor for the briefing," the Director instructed. "I will join you shortly."

"Yes sir," Ty said, saluting the Director.

I rolled my eyes at Ty, but made my face solemn again when I looked at the Director. "Yes, Director."

Rokmond nodded, motioning to the door. Ty and I exited the training room and went into the hallway outside, heading to the elevator. When we reached the metal doors of the contraption, I pressed the up arrow. My eyes watched the screen that told the floor level of the elevator. One, two, three...

In the corner of my eye, I caught Ty staring at me. I forced myself to refocus my attention on the elevator. Xara wouldn't react to such a thing, so I wouldn't either.

The elevator doors opened, and the two of us stepped inside. I couldn't help but feel my heart beating a little quicker. He'd been acting strangely ever since this recent event with the warehouse.

Ever since I replaced Xara.

Does he suspect that I'm not really Xara? Has he caught? I clasped my hands together to prevent my hand from shaking. If he did know, my whole purpose in life would be ruined.

Unless he was acting weird because something happened before Xara was captured. Maybe the two had a fight. There was approximately a month long space in my memories. Perhaps something happened during the time that I missed.

The memories that I did have of Ty began to flash through my mind. As I recalled various moments―during spy training and on various missions―I realized that Ty did seem to enjoy Xara's company quite a bit. It was almost as if he liked her...

"Xara." I looked up at the elevator. We were just coming to the tenth floor. If I can just hold out to the seventeenth floor...

"Xara." His voice was adamant. He was going to force me to listen to whatever he had to say, whether I wanted to or not. I stared at the numbers on the screen in the elevator, hoping that if I didn't acknowledge him, he'd stop talking to me. Twelve, thirteen, fourteen.

"Xara, l―"

"Not now," I interrupted. "We're about to go to the briefing.

Sixteen, seventeen! I breathed a sigh of relief as we landed on the briefing floor. Now, if we can just get out of this box without anything more happening...

Ty quickly pressed the twenty-fifth floor button. The doors shut, and the elevator began to ascend upward.

GOSH DARN IT!

"Xara, this is serious," Ty said. "All you do is spy work. All the time, you're either working or thinking about working. It's time that we talk about our future."

I was too mad to face him. I stared angrily at the screen in the elevator.

Who was I mad at? Well, to be honest, the Director. Because if he had just told Team Summit who I really was yesterday, I could one-hundred percent guarantee this would not have happened.

I felt Ty's hand gently touch my jaw, forcing me to look into his green eyes. He was looking in a way that made me feel sick. His gaze held too much longing for me.

Why me?! I screamed internally. Maybe I should have stayed locked up in my room. It would have spared me from this.

"Xara, we've worked with each other for more than fifteen years. We've known each other for longer. We've been in danger together, we've..." He swallowed. In a rare turn of events, the ever-so-confident Ty was... nervous. "Don't you... don't you feel anything?"