XXXIX

MERLE

MERLE

OF COURSE I GOT STUCK WITH THE KIDS, of course I did.
As I was leaving the Governor and his fuckin' army behind - along with the prison - I ended up coming across Lizzie and Mika who where carrying Judith.

I guess the old, fucked up Merle, would have told them to piss off but I knew how much the group cared about them - especially Izzy.

We'd been on the road for sometime, Judith in my arms constantly. She was cute you know. I'd never been interested in having kids myself - not after how fucked up my dad was. I knew I wouldn't be a good dad. Drugs, prison... that's not what a dad should be. Daryl on the other hand, I mean I know we weren't extremely different, but he could make a good dad. And I guess I'd like to be ol' uncle Merle.

I was worried about my lil bro. He could always look after himself, he definitely wasn't dead. There was no chance of that. I just knew that I might never see him again. I wanted to be out here looking for him but now I was stuck with the kids I needed to find somewhere safe for them.

All seemed too be going well, until walkers started heading towards all four of us. Brilliant. What was I supposed to do with two kids and a baby.

"Lizzie take Judith" I said handing her to Lizzie.

"You can't leave us" Mika said frightened clutching onto me.

"Hey" I said trying not to get annoyed while pulling her off me. "Stay here" I said firmly holding onto each of her shoulders making sure she stayed put.
I didn't really care for a conversation. I just knew I had to do something or I'd have three dead kids on my hands.

I moved towards the walkers, as I did so, I attached my knife onto my metal stump. Lucky for me, there was only three of them. I lunged at the first, driving my knife up through its head, from the base of its chin, hitting its brain. I quickly pulled it out and moved towards the second quickly slamming it into its temple. As I did so, the third moved in on me snapping its jaw biting into my metal stump.

I guess I was lucky that officer friendly handcuffed me, as without this metal stump I definitely would have been bit a thousand times over.

I pulled my knife out the second while simultaneously pushing the third off my arm before driving my knife up into its skull. I quickly pulled it out before taking a few second to catch my breath.

This was soon interrupted by the yells of Lizzie.
Can't catch me a fuckin' break.
I spun round to see Mika running off and Lizzie chasing her with Judith in her arms.
"Fuck me" I grumbled.

My feet pounded against the ground as I chased after them, grabbing the changing bag of the ground as I ran past it. I rushed through some bushes, following where they went until I came to a stop.
There were train tracks in-front of me.
I quickly looked down the tracks looking for the girls.