Chapter 4 I will fight no more forever

the day has come where I have to face Pat Garrett for the last time. I walked into Pete Maxwell's bed room to see what was going on. I heard the sound of Pat's gun cocking I turn around to face him. I looked him in the eyes and I said to him" Patsy I know your heart what you had said to me I have it in my heart. it is cold and we have no food and no blankets we are hungry and we are freezing to death. the regulators have been badly wounded. young Tom O'Folliard has been very badly wounded and he is missing I need time to look for him. I hope that I don't find him among the dead." I turn my back on him and look up to the roof and say" hear me my chiefs I am tired my heart is sick and sad from where the sun now stands I will fight no more forever." I pull the blanket the Chavez had gave me up over my shoulders and I walk out in front of Pat with my head down in sadness. Pat had lead me out to a waiting stage coach. Pat turns me around to face him with tears in his eyes. he says to me in a broken voice and almost crying. he says" Billy I had came to Fort Sumner to kill you. but I just can not kill you because you are my friend. I don't have the heart to kill you. I am letting you go I can't bring myself to kill you." he hugged me as we parted ways. he headed back to Lincoln County and I had set out for Sweet Water to leave my past behind me and to make a brand new start with my life. but I am still haunted by my past. I can never escapes my past.

 I can never escapes my past