Chapter 9 Old Man/Young Man

i was working late helping Sheriff Pat Garrett clean up and close up his eating place called Garrett's place

i was working late helping Sheriff Pat Garrett clean up and close up his eating place called Garrett's place. when an old man had came in through the door i could tell that he was tired and he needed someone to talk to. i sat down beside and to talk to him. i told him that my name is William H. Bonney better known as Billy the Kid he smiled at me. he said that his name is Brushy Bill Roberts. asked if i had been sick because i did look pale. Pat spoke up and said that i was just recovering from a battle with polio. i smiled a sad smile as i thought of my mother Catherine McCarty a single tear rolled down my cheek as i thought of my outlaw past. and the day that Governor Lew Wallace had gave me a pardon to clear my name of the things that had done when i was an outlaw. Mr. Roberts is still waiting to get his name cleared. that made me sad to think that he has waited so long. he said that was Billy the Kid. but i knew that i was Billy the Kid. but i wasn't going to fight with him. my mother God rest her dear sweet soul would come back from her grave and get me. if i fought with someone much older then i am. besides i really wanted to get to know him and to be his friend if he would let me be his friend. Pat always says anything is possible. maybe Pat is right. i don't know if he knows Pat Garrett i sit there and listened to his stories. but for me my outlaw past haunts me like a ghost that i can't out run. then there the terrible nightmares about my stepfather's abuse. but one day i will be free of my past.