Chapter 5 The Home Coming

The Next day after Pat and I had met up for the last time last night. Pat had written that he had shot and killed me. But it was not true yesterday was July 14th and today is July 15th. it was in the news papers from here to Sweet Water. this sad news had reached my adopted father Lawrence Talbot and my friends. they were getting ready to go to my funeral. my adopted father was in town getting some clothes to bury me in. when I had walked into the store tired and hungry and in ragged clothes and in need of a doctor. my adopted father had ran up to me and hugged me glad to see me alive. he brings me back to his ranch and takes me up to a bedroom that he had fixed for me when and if I came home. he lays me in the bed to rest and he sends for the doctor. he sits by my bedside praying that I would be alright. the doctor comes and treats my wounds and tells my adopted father that I need to rest and recover and I also need to eat something when I felt up to it. my adopted father stayed by my bedside that whole night. he was joined by my soon to be mamma Lillian Gram she wiped my forehead and face and neck and chest with a cold wash cloth to help bring my fever down. the next day I woke up still weak but rested and so glad that the Lincoln County War was now over.