ONE-SHOT XLIX: Baron von Strucker of HYDRA

Set just before Blood Phoenix 7

Adelaide Lehnsherr

The large man slapped me in the face. I bit my lip, feeling the copper taste invade my mouth. I pulled against the ropes tying me to the chair and leaned back.

'Is that all you got?' I snarkily replied. I felt someone grab my hair from behind. 'Ohh... now that hurts like a bitch.'

'Your attitude has gone too far, Adelaide Lehnsherr. Or, shall we say - the Winter Phoenix. It's a small world, isn't it?'

'You're HYDRA. All of you. You'll never get me.' The man laughed, gripping onto my hair tighter. I bit my lip again, suppressing a whimper of pain.

'We have you. Baron Strucker will do with you as he pleases, Winter Phoenix. He will be so pleased to have three children of the blood of the mutant Magneto.' I tugged against the ropes again.

'Cease!' a voice shouted. I heard the click of boots as a long black leather trenchcoat swished against the pants and boots of none other than the man that they had been speaking about for the past hour. The man in question was wearing the trenchcoat, which went down to his ankles, and was wearing very dark clothing in general, and had a bald head and one eyeglass. He had a stern expression on his face. 'Leave her be.' His men stepped back and he stepped up to me. I saw a ring on his right hand, engraved with the HYDRA symbol.

'Your men are assholes,' I snapped.

'Well, they don't know how to treat a guest properly. Especially one as beautiful as you, my dear.' I just stared at him.

'You won't get far with flattery, Baron Strucker.' He pulled up a chair and sat down.

'You see, darling, I have chosen you. You are to be an asset for me. And for HYDRA, but let's put silly notions aside. You are to be mine. You, along with the twins, are my Three. My special prizes.' He ran a hand along my cheek. 'In time. In time, you will know me, and I will know you. In time, you will respect me. You will learn from me. And you will be the beginning of the newest projects in HYDRA. The new leaders of HYDRA.'

'SHIELD got rid of HYDRA when it fell.' He laughed.

'They didn't. HYDRA lives here. Thrives in the shadows. Your precious Captain America couldn't even fully take down HYDRA.'

'You didn't take Winter. Why?'

'He is no longer of use. If another HYDRA base wants the Soldier, they can have him. But you were the one I was after. You are of greater value than he is, considering who you are and where you come from. My doctor, Dr. List, believes in the value of notable progeny. And you, my dear, are Magneto's daughter. And that is something I cannot pass over for some Soldier who is - or was, Russia's favorite assassin.'

'And what would you have with me?'

'Project Leader needs blood. Good blood. And HYDRA needs an asset who can fight willingly and well, without brainwashing or trigger words. I don't plan to use those on you. You are special, not unlike the twins, but more special than they are. A miracle, Ms. Lehnsherr. A miracle. My miracle.' He walked away, but then turned back to the men near me. 'Let her go. Take her to a suitable cell and make sure she is treated - like a proper guest of HYDRA.'

March 2015. Sokovia, Eastern Europe.

I strolled through the halls with Baron Strucker, listening politely to his every word. He'd stayed true to his word on the added experiments, and started to enhance my mind with Loki's scepter, which housed some sort of stone that Baron Strucker said enhanced the mind, or did something regarding the mind. I began to do more experiments on my wings with Dr. List, placing a coat of thin, but bulletproof titanium metal over my wings, thus making them stronger.

I missed Bucky, though. It was tough without the Soldier that I'd come to call friend. I figured he was fine on his own, though. Impressing Baron Strucker was my next major feat. I would assist him in all his large elements of HYDRA work, though to me he always told me I had a choice. He would stroke my hair and call me princessa, which I suppose means princess in Sokovian.

'- just turn here,' I heard him say. I walked with him into another room, the experiment laboratory. On the far wall, we saw two prison cells with glass windows. In one, a young man and young woman sat together. The girl was reading a book, and the boy was tapping his foot on the floor, very fast. I assumed the boy had powers, as the tapping was entirely unnatural. Too quick, it was.

'Who are these people, Baron?'

'These are Wanda and Pietro Maximoff. We've been experimenting on them ever since SHIELD fell. They are - shall we say, promising.'

'They have powers?'

'You are perceptive, my darling. The girl has telekinesis and telepathy, and the boy has the power of accelerated speed.'

'What will they do? They are nothing without a purpose.' I looked up at him. He laid a hand on my back, resting on the metallic surface of my wings, which had been laying against my back, relaxed and on full display.

'They are HYDRA's gifts to mankind, and so are you. We do our work from within the shadows, darling. When the Avengers come for us - when anyone comes to hurt us, you and the twins will show the world the meaning of what HYDRA is. They extinguished Pierce, but the three of you shall take his place. Cut off one head -'

'Two more shall take its place,' I replied, staring up at my mentor.

'Good girl.' It made me sick to say the next few words, but they came out of my mouth anyway, leaving a bitter taste afterwards.

'Hail HYDRA.'