ONE-SHOT LXXXV: Field Trip

Set in The White Phoenix 11:

A Falcon and the Winter Soldier fanfic

Emily Barnes

I always found it amazing and confusing that I was related to the Winter Soldier and the White Phoenix. That they were my parents. James Barnes and Adelaide Lehnsherr were my parents. That fact alone was exciting - and scary at times. They could both be really nice, but at times unpredictable. They were so in love with each other. I had barely known them when I was in HYDRA all those years ago, let alone known that they were my parents. Nope. They were just my trainers. And man, could my dad hit hard. Officially, the only man alive whose left hook would actually hurt. Even now, with his vibranium arm, it would still probably hurt. So would my mom's right hook. She kills with that thing. And with the foot too. She tells me she and my dad both got their prostheses from a place called Wakanda, in Africa. Yeah, it's technically a Pandora. My mom hates Avatar, though. She says it's not as good as the movies that she used to watch, like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. My dad doesn't mind it. He thinks the people look weird-ass, though.

School was like any other thing. Except, completely without my parents. My younger siblings go to a elementary school in the middle of Manhattan, and I go to a high school. Specifically, Marina Elementary and Manhattan High School. I loved my school. I had friends, all of which who knew who my parents were. I was always in a small gang of girls, about six of us. We loved all things Avengers, makeup and boys. To be honest, I had never had a boyfriend. The only guys that I could mildly tolerate were my younger step-brother, Wolfgang von Strucker-Barnes and my dad. Not that my dad and younger brother were bad or anything. They were great people. But today was a field trip and when I heard where we were going, my heart rose in a million different directions.

The bus pulled up in front of the Smithsonian Museum. My friends and I got out of the vehicle, along with the other hundred-something students at the school. We went through, gaining quick access, and the teachers, along with our vice-principal, took us to our destination within the museum - the Avengers: Hall of Heroes. We walked through the giant archway, which held a painted mural of each of the seven Avengers, as well as several other superheroes that had established themselves as heroes. Among them was my mom, painted next to Captain America and my deceased aunt Natalia Romanoff, with whom I share a name. My mom said she died before her and my dad adopted me, years after I was born within the confines of HYDRA's Siberia base. I didn't know my Auntie Natalia, but my mom tells me she used to work for the Red Room, where I trained for several years before I worked for HYDRA, where my mom taught me hand-to-hand combat and my dad taught me how to be an expert marksman. I learned well. But that was when my parents were killers. The Winter Soldier and the Winter Phoenix. But now, they act just like a normal family. A normal couple, albeit a very weird couple with very special gifts and peculiar children, those of which being my brother and little sister, Shannon Amelia Barnes.