ONE-SHOT II: A Little Dose Of Revenge, Metal-Bending and Mind Reading

Set during Blood Phoenix 1

Adelaide Lehnsherr

The large truck bumped its way along the muddy ground of the Russian forest. I sat in the back of it, with several soldiers, along with Erik and Charles. I was rather lost in my own thoughts, mostly about Charles. Last night was little more than a dinner date, I told myself. Which it was. But we might have gotten a little too tipsy, and we had kissed, rather clumsily I might add. Erik caught me hungover slightly, and was mildly upset, but had let it go, as we were on the spur of a mission to Russia to find Shaw. Just then, the truck jolted sharply, and I bumped into the muscular shoulder of my father, who wrapped an arm around me, pulling me near into his chest.

'Stay close,' he whispered in a soft, husky voice to me. I nodded. Just then Erik spoke, louder as the truck stopped. 'We got a problem.'

'What?' I heard Charles ask.

'I'm so sorry. This wasn't on the map,' Moira apologised.

'No matter what happens, act normally,' Charles said, getting up slightly. 'I'll take care of this, all right. Now, listen to me.' There was silence, soon followed by conversation coming from the front cab of the truck. I stayed where I was, leaning my head on Erik's shoulder. Charles glanced at me, then called me over. 'Adelaide, I want you to do something for me.'

'What is it?' I tucked my hair behind my ear.

'I want you to, when they open the door, get into the soldiers' heads. Make them think they are seeing nothing.'

'You want me to create an illusion?'

'Exactly. Come over here, darling. Right here.' He patted the space next to him and sat down, pulling me between both himself and Erik. Everyone started to stir. 'Whoa, whoa, easy. Take it easy, chaps.' Then they opened the doors, but before they could get a good look inside, Charles spoke in my ear. 'Now.' I stood up slightly, raised my hand to my head and blocked the soldiers' minds from seeing anything in the truck.

'Anything back there?' a guard asked.

'Nothing. It's empty.' I was holding my breath for what seemed like hours.

'Everything okay?'

'Yes.' The doors were shut again, and I let out the breath I'd been holding, sitting back down on the seat with a bump, panting. I felt Erik's hand on my knee. Charles touched my shoulder gently.

'Well done, Adelaide. Well done.' I nodded and leaned back against the wall of the truck, breathing in and out, slowly, carefully.

-Time skip-

Charles, Moira, Erik and I were positioned on a small knoll in the forest, overlooking the mansion nearby. It was large and white. Nearest it, on the grounds, a chopper was landing. I grabbed the binoculars from Charles, who made a slight protest, to which I sent him a brain message to basically 'shut up,' with a few other lovely expletives (I'll let you fill in the blanks from there, readers). I looked through the binoculars, watching the rotors of the chopper stop and a woman in all white get out and walk to the front door. I growled under my breath and Erik heard me, apparently sensing my disdain towards the woman, as well as my apparent confusion.