ONE-SHOT VI: Recurring Dreams (A What If? Scenario for Avengers; Pt. 1)

So, for this one, I thought - why not do a What If? scenario where Adelaide, instead of having crashed in a HYDRA jet somewhere over icy, cold Siberia on her way to one of the near Red Room facilities, where she escaped HYDRA and went to live in a place much like Bruce Banner at the beginning of the Avengers? At this point, she would live in said place for a while, regaining her memories and such. But what if someone like Natasha Romanoff (who is at this point still working for SHIELD) comes to recruit her for the Avengers Initiative? How would that fold into the bigger plan of the first Avengers film? Of course this isn't as big of a game changer as perhaps my What If? scenarios for like, say Captain America: Civil War or something like that.

Anyway, onto the story!

Set during Blood Phoenix 5

Adelaide Lehnsherr/Phoenix

The sirens blared as I ran through the Siberia HYDRA facility, taking agents out as I went. I ducked around a corner just as a spray of bullets followed me, one grazing my arm. I cursed in a string of Russian and German, continuing to run. I saw the entrance in sight but -

It was the man blocking my path to freedom.

The Winter Soldier.

I looked frantically behind me.

'If you want to survive, run,' he said softly. I stepped forward.

'Come with me, Winter,' I pleaded.

'No.' His hand reached out, and the metal lightly touched my cheek. 'I can't stop you. I promise, I will find my way to you. Stay out of trouble, okay?'

'I will.' He reached for me again and I covered his hand with my own. Softly, he leaned forward and kissed me tenderly on the lips.

'I love you,' he said, his voice rough and deep.

'You too, Win,' I said softly. Then, turning as the shouts of men came around the corridor, I went to run. Then I turned to Winter. 'Shoot me.' He looked confused, but raising his pistol, he shot me in the upper leg. Then I ran long and hard. I wasn't sure how far I remember making it to a jet, taking off, turning off autopilot and falling unconscious in the pilot's seat.

After landing in a small copse of trees, I ditched the jet, then raided the stores of the jet. After packing everything I needed in a single backpack, I walked. My leg throbbed and so did my arm, but after wrapping and rewrapping the wounds, I was good to keep walking. I didn't know where I was. When I arrived at a small town, I found my way to the nearest hotel. Stumbling into the hotel, I paid for one night and went up to my room without a word, except a few exchanged, slurred words in Russian with the hostess. I knew I was still in Russia, that much was evident. I had to get further away from Russia. If HYDRA were to find me - I couldn't even finish that thought.

I bolted upright in bed, sweating. I checked the time. 3:47 A.M. Getting up and wiping the sweat from my back and neck with a towel, I came to the window and peeled open the blinds, looking out at the sleeping city of Argentina. The last stars were starting to go away and it was a dark grey colour on the horizon. I opened the window slightly, letting the warm breeze filter through. Taking a deep breath, I crossed my arms over my chest. I yawned slightly, letting the worries and pain of the previous night's sleeplessness and dreams fade with the new morning. Every night, my dream ended the same. I had been in Argentina for two months, the longest I had been in one place. I was starting to get memories back and I ended up getting a journal to write down what I dreamed.