ONE-SHOT VII: I'll Do It (A What If? Scenario for Avengers: Assemble; Pt. 2)

Set during the events of Blood Phoenix 5

Adelaide Lehnsherr/Phoenix

'And how many people are in this team?' I asked Natasha, sitting across from her on the jet to the SHIELD helicarrier that the team of the newly-formed Avengers were supposed to be grouping on.

'About five or six, plus you.' She handed me a tablet and I started flicking and scrolling through the information with ease. I let out a low hum as I recognised pretty much all of the people that would be on the team. Handing it back to her, I remembered people in yellow and black suits on a jet, as well as a much younger version of myself. I remembered hearing the word 'X-Men.' Pulling out my notebook from my backpack, I opened up a pen and began to write on an empty page about the memories that had just flashed through my head. 'I saw the notebook in Argentina,' Natasha said. 'What is it about?'

'It's personal,' I ground out, feeling incredibly anxious. Just then, I heard a low whine from the engines and looked out of the large windshield that the pilots were sitting at.

'We're coming close to the landing zone, Agent Romanoff. You might want to strap in, Ms. Lehnsherr. Coming up on the drop zone in 3, 2, 1...' I got flashes of my missions with HYDRA. There was a certain familiarity to the pilot's words that stirred my mind, got me ready. I leaned back against the seat, breathing slowly, my eyes closing. I heard another low whine, and then the soft, cushioned landing of the jet. I got up and straightening my black leather jacket and slinging my backpack off of my shoulder, I followed Agent Romanoff on the ramp and out onto the large runway-like thing. What greeted me next was a fascinating sight. Workers rushed around in orange suits as near us, a similar jet landed. Romanoff nudged me, making me recoil from the contact. Noticing my discomfort, she smiled softly, though there was not much 'smiling' intent in it.

'Sorry. Come on.' I walked with her to where the jet that had just landed was unloading. A tall, muscular blonde man in a brown leather jacket came out, followed by a short, bald man in a suit and tie. Another man was near us, dressed in a purple shirt and jeans, with curly black hair. We walked towards the incoming men.

'Agent Romanoff, Captain Rogers,' the short man introduced the two.

'Ma'am,' the blonde man said respectfully, he said, looking at the two of us. I shoved one fingerless-gloved hand in my pocket.

'Oh, so I'm supposed to introduce myself. Adelaide Lehnsherr.' I stuck my right hand out and he shook it with his right.

'Ma'am,' he greeted. Agent Romanoff looked at the short man, who from his ID I figured out was a guy named Agent Coulson.

'Hi,' he said. 'They need you on the bridge. They're starting the face-trace.'

'See you there.' The short man nodded at the three of us, then walked off. The three of us walked to the helicarrier's railing. 'It was quite the buzz around here, finding you in the ice. I thought Coulson was gonna swoon,' Natasha said. 'Did he ask you to sign his Captain America trading cards yet?'

'Trading cards?' Captain Rogers asked, looking thoroughly confused.

'They're vintage. He's very proud.' We walked over to the short man with the dark hair, who was currently trying to dodge people, looking extremely nervous about the unfamiliar setting.

'Dr Banner,' Rogers called out. He walked up to him, shaking his hand.

'Oh, yeah. They told me you'd be coming.'

'Word is you can find the cube.'

'Is that the only word on me?' Dr Banner asked nervously.

'Only word I care about.' Dr Banner looked around.

'It must be strange for you, all of this.' Rogers looked around and for a moment, I caught myself staring at his face. Then he turned back and I looked away nervously, trying to not look like the kid that got their hand caught in the cookie jar.

'Well, this is actually kind of familiar,' he said, eyeing a bunch of SHIELD agents who were jogging on the tarmac in perfect formation. Like a training session, I thought. I cleared my throat and offered my hand to Dr Banner.

'Hi. Adelaide Lehnsherr.'

'Bruce Banner.' I scratched my neck awkwardly.

'I assumed as much.' Just then Natasha stepped up.

'Gentlemen, lady, you might want to step inside in a minute. It's gonna get a little hard to breathe.' We stepped closer to the edge of a helicarrier.

'Is this a submarine?' Steve asked.

'Really? They wanted me in a submerged, pressurised metal container. Just then, several large turbines broke out of the water, lifting us into the air. I smiled in wonder. Steve, too, was gazing at it with a similar expression on his face. Bruce simply gave a half-grimace, half-smile. 'Oh, no. This is much worse.'

We entered the bridge several moments later. Several agents sat at viewscreens. I wandered around, fiddling with the golden locket around my neck. I don't know how exactly I got this locket, only that I fiddle with it when I'm stressed. Just then a dark-skinned man with a eyepatch walked over to us.

'Gentlemen,' he said. He strolled over to me and extended his hand. 'Adelaide Lehnsherr. I didn't think you'd accept.'

'Sir,' I said softly. 'I won't let you down.' He gave me a gentle pat on the shoulder, to which I flinched slightly but let it pass.

'I know you won't. You're one of the best there is.' He strolled away and greeted Dr Banner. Just then, as I was still preoccupied with my thoughts, Steve Rogers strolled up to me.

'You look like you're lost,' he said. I turned.

'So do you,' I replied, my voice low.

'You okay?' I turned towards the window, where we were already flying into the air.

'Never better.'

'Hey, I - uh, I read your file. Some real crazy stuff. I didn't think HYDRA was marginally operational.'

'What else did you expect?' I asked, eager to change the subject, but I could tell my snappishness hurt him. 'I'm sorry.'

'It's okay. You're just - out of place.' I gave him a grateful, lopsided smile.

'Yeah - that's it.'

Later, I was sitting on one of the swivel chairs in front of a viewscreen, watching Steve Rogers and Agent Coulson discussing the trading cards.

'... It's a vintage set. It took me a couple years to collect them all. Near mint, slight foxing around the edges, but...' Just then, another short, bald man with glasses turned to us.

'We got a hit,' he said. 'Sixty-seven percent match. Weight, cross match, seventy-nine percent.'

'Location?' Agent Coulson asked.

'Stuttgart, Germany. 28 Konigstrasse. He's not exactly hiding.' Steve and I both looked to Director Fury.

'Cap, you're up. Lehnsherr? You in?' I nodded, getting to my feet.

'I'll do it.'