ONE-SHOT XXXIV: Before The Fall (A What If? Scenario for CATWS; Pt. 2)

Set after previous one-shot: during the events of Blood Phoenix 6

Winter Phoenix/SA-8431

Captain America?

Kill.

Agent Romanoff?

Kill.

EXO-7 Falcon, also known as Sam Wilson?

Kill.

All other agents loyal to the old SHIELD?

Kill.

Anyone that stands in HYDRA's way?

Kill.

I pulled on my finger-less gloves, looking blankly at the mission files before me. A simple mission, it would appear. One I had done a hundred times. Get in, get out. Do your job. Kill. Maim. Incapacitate. I let my wings fold out, then flapped them, flexing the white feathers. The Winter Soldier was across from me. He was cleaning and loading his guns, stowing knives in his belt. His metal arm whizzed and whirred impatiently, wanting to do its job. Almost as if it had a mind of its own as well. We had to kill. Our mission.

And no one, nothing, was going to stand in our way.

-Time skip-

'All SHIELD pilots, scramble!' I heard the pilot order. 'We are the only air support Captain Rogers has got!' Just then one of the bombs from my gun flew into the side of a SHIELD jet taking off, leaving it to crash-land on the runway. In the midst of the smoke, fire and commotion, Winter and I walked through the flames, with me reloading the bomb on my gun. Winter fired one, sending three SHIELD agents flying. A SHIELD agent came up to us with a grenade, but Winter shot him in the throat with his machine gun, grabbing his grenade and throwing it into a nearby jet as the ramp closed, blowing it up from the inside. One shot at me, but Winter covered with his metal arm as I threw a leather covered fist in his face. He flew aside, then I kicked another technician into the spinning rotors of a quinjet, killing him instantly. Then we ran.

Another quinjet was nearby, with a SHIELD pilot attempting to start the jet. The unsuspecting pilot was below, but by the time we were on top of the jet, Winter fired with his gun, and the pilot was dead. Discarding the gun, he ripped a glass window off of the passenger side with ease, then climbed in. Staying on the top of the jet, I jumped off and flexed my wings, flying up to the helicarriers, Winter piloting the jet, following close behind as we went to complete our mission and take down Captain America.

I watched as Captain Rogers and Sam Wilson flew up to the helicarrier, Wilson dropping him onto the runway.

'You know, you're a lot heavier than you look.'

'I had a big breakfast,' the blonde man replied. Just then, Winter came out and tackled the Captain, sending him over the edge of the helicarrier.

'Steve!' the dark-skinned man yelled, but I grabbed his wing just as he was about to jump off to save the other guy. I pulled him back, but he extended his wings and began to fire at Winter and I, the two of us flipping gracefully. I pulled Winter back and he shot a grappling hook at Falcon's wing. He fell instantly as Winter ripped off his wing, then we ran up to him as I kicked him off the ledge. I watched him fall. Then we looked down, seeing the blonde man still on the helicarrier. Then we ran again.

-Time skip-

We stood there, waiting. The blonde man ran up to us. A look of shock and sadness was in his blue eyes as he surveyed the two of us.

'People are gonna die, Buck, Adelaide.' We stared at him, saying nothing. 'I can't let that happen. Please, don't make me do this.' Suddenly, the man flung his shield at us. Winter blocked it with his metal arm, then we both began to fire our small handguns at him. He grabbed his shield and we fought back and forth, but it was Winter who managed to land a small bullet graze on the Captain's ribs. I lunged for him, but he slammed the shield into me, and I was thrown back, landing on the floor in front of him. I coughed, getting up. 'Adelaide, please. Don't.' I got up, drawing my knife. Winter did the same as I discarded my pistol, now out of bullets. I looked at the Captain, who had said my name. Or at least I thought that was my name. 'You know me.'

'No, I don't,' I replied soullessly. Then we attacked him, the two of us. Both landing hits and trading blows. The Captain managed to throw the two of us back and pull up the platform that held all of the chips for Project Insight. He typed fast, but Winter was onto him first. I flipped over Winter and the Captain and began landing hits on him from behind, but the Captain then jammed Winter's knife into his metal arm. I heard the plates whirring, and then he kicked him back. The Captain and I both traded blows, and he ended up giving me a gash on the side. I backed away, blood coming through. It wasn't deep, but it hurt like a bitch. He moved over quickly to the targeting blades and began to complete his mission, pulling up the chips he wanted, but Winter's metal fist slammed into his shield with a resounding vibration. Winter drove him back and forth, and for a while they wrestled, pushing back and forth. They swung hits and landed blows, nothing doing any damage. Then the Captain knocked Winter back, and for a second it looked like he was done.

But Winter was angry now and he and I charged the Captain, ramming into him and throwing him over the side, the shield flying away, along with the chip. We all began to land blows on each other, now hand-to-hand. Then the Captain slid, grabbing the chip. We both slid after him, off the smooth surface of the platform we were currently on. Now the blonde man stood up, and he was on the very edge of the platform. We both landed blows, myself soon disarming the Captain of the targeting blade that he was supposed to put in place of the one that HYDRA had. Then we kept fighting, Steve slamming his elbow into Winter's face and kicking him off. He fell, and he and I began to trade blows again. I withdrew a knife, but he soon disarmed me. I glared at him, then I grabbed him and we both fell down.