AOS 9: Just A Little Talk

Set during the events of White Phoenix 11

Adelaide Lehnsherr-Barnes 

I ran after Bucky. He was a pretty fast walker when he was upset. 

'James, stop!' I called out. He stopped in his tracks and turned to face me, the anger still present on his face, which made me stop in my tracks as well. The two of us faced each other, at least six feet apart, measuring, gauging, the anger on his face, and the desperation in mine. 'Please, just stop.' I took a step, and then another, starting to close the distance between us. I took his gloved hands in mine and held them. 'I know what you're thinking. Just stay for a bit, will you?' 

'You said you'd never read my mind.' 

'I didn't have to read your mind. It's written all over your face. You forget, you're a very expressive person with your eyes.' I pulled off his gloves tenderly and held both flesh and metal in mine, feeling the warmth and cold alike, turning them over and looking at them, then back up at his face. 'I don't blame you for what you did. You were angry. It's fine to be angry. I'm angry too.' 

'You don't look it.' 

'I may not look it, but I am. Zemo's withholding information, which isn't something either of us are used to. I think we both know how anxious either one of us gets when we don't have the full story, and patience is neither of our strong suits.' 

'None of this makes sense, Adelaide,' he said gruffly, leaning forward slightly to kiss me. I kissed him back, and slowly, he backed us up, my back first, against a wall. My fingers found his shirt and fisted my hands in the soft material, then slid a hand up under his many layers of shirts to find his bare skin beneath, and the hardened abdominal muscles, as I slid my hand up to his chest. He broke the kiss, panting for air, and leaned his forehead against mine. 

'Don't start something you can't finish, soldier,' I said softly. He laughed breathlessly. 

'How is it that I'm only happy when I'm alone with you?' 

'Maybe that's the beauty of why we were meant to be together - forever, I suppose.' 

'Look, I'm sorry for my outburst back there. It was kinda uncalled for.' 

'No, like I said, I would have probably done the same thing. And plus, it was kinda hot, you throwing that cup against the wall.' 

'Is that so?' he said with a quirky smile, then grabbed my legs and hoisted me up so that my legs were around his waist and I was on a slightly elevated position, looking down at him as he met my lips in a kiss again. 'I'll show you hot.' 

'You know -' I gasped in between kisses, '- we do have to get-' *kiss* '-back to- *kiss* '-the others. We gotta regroup and figure out our next plan. We don't want to be late for that funeral.' He pulled back, making a pouting face. 

'But we've gone without for so long. All this running around and fighting - it's making me want to, you know...' He bashfully looked down, his tongue sliding between his lips, making me giggle. He let me down onto the ground, keeping his large hands on my hips. 'We finish this when we get the time, yeah? Deal?' 

'Deal.'