Chapter 15: Shake a Tail Feather

In the late afternoon, Mary and Regina were in the laundry room giving Akela a makeover. Mary had received a makeup kit from Nick and Joseph earlier during their supply run.

"You guys sure this is safe?" asked Akela.

"Of course it is, hon," Regina reassured. "When Leon gets a look at you, he'll be head over heels for you."

"But I never had my hair straighten. It's...it's just something I'm not comfortable with."

"Trust me, Akela. You're safe with us," said Mary.

"...but what if Leon doesn't like it?"

"Akela...one thing I know about Leon is that he never lies. I've seen the way he looks at you. If he didn't like you, he would have told you. Now, lay back. I think the iron's warm."

Akela did as she was told and laid on the ironing board. Mary helped lay her hair out while Regina sprayed water on the iron. The water evaporates, showing that it was ready.

At night, the black orphans were celebrating and dancing to the radio in the bedroom. Leon was with Charlie and Cato when Regina and Mary walked in. Charlie motioned Leon to turn around. He saw Akela taking baby steps into the room and noticed that she looked different. Her hair was no longer thick and wavy. It looked soft and smooth, like a satin scarf. She also had in light makeup and a pin that held her hair from her face. When Regina and Mary left, Leon went over to her.

"Um...Akela, hey."

"Hi."

They looked away for a moment, still unsure of what to say next.

"You...uh...do you-"

"Wanna dance?"

Leon looks at her and smiles. She took his hand, and he led her out onto the dance floor. They began to cut a rug as the others watched. When he picked her up, Leon spins Akela and then flips her over his arm, making her giggle.

As they danced, Regina pulled Cato into the crowd and danced with him. She spun him around and dipped him all the while he yelped. Meanwhile, Nick and Joseph joined in the fun with Jaliya and Violet.

While everyone was having a good time, Mary was making her way through the crowd. She watched her friends and Nick and Joseph enjoy themselves. She wasn't the dancing type since no one ever taught her. Suddenly, someone bumped into her. She turned around and saw Charlie.

"Hey."

"Hey. Sorry for startling you."

"It's cool. Think your arm can handle a dance?"

"Not sure." He smirks at her. "Wanna help me try it out?"

Mary smiled and took Charlie's hand. They made their way through the crowd toward the middle of the floor. The kids watched them dance to the swinging beat. Charlie placed his healing arm around Mary's waist, flipped her over his shoulder, and caught her in his arms. He then spun her around and did the Lindy flip until she faced him. Their gaze locked as their friends cheered them on. They continued to dance as if no one was there.

While dancing, Mary felt weird. As if her painful past didn't matter and her past escaping attempts were nonexistent. For the first time in her life, she was happy. She didn't care if the Fletchers caught her and Charlie together. Charlie felt the same. He lost everything when he came to Alabama. Now, it's as if he gained it all back. But what would a life with Mary look like? He grew worried about the harsh discrimination they might face. He turned his face away from her, but she brought his gaze back to hers and smiled warmly at him.

She has a pretty smile. It was a smile that Charlie could remember for years. He couldn't understand why the whites would hate black people. No one should hate something they don't understand or someone different. Ever since he met them, Mary and her friends have been helpful to him, and soon, he'll be back in his old home with his new friends. He returned Mary's smile and twirled her around as he thought of the new life ahead. A new life with Mary.

Without warning, the lights went in and out again, and the music on the radio was replaced with static. The sounds of joy and laughter ceased. Violet looked out the window to see what was going on. Suddenly, Mary's old feelings were creeping back in. She didn't want to believe it.

"It's Fletcher! He fixed the chair!"