Chapter 12: Furnace Trouble

Later on, in the boiler room, Cato was getting more frustrated with the furnace.

"Why won't you fix already?!" He throws his wrench down just as Charlie and Leon arrived with more firewood.

"Guys, I can't do it anymore. I have tried everything. I've tried changing the filter, adjusting the gas valve, feeding it more wood, and still, this damn thing won't work!" He kicked the furnace and sat on a stool. He slumped and placed his head in his hands.

"Are you using oil?" asked Charlie.

"What?"

"Well, what you've been fixing is an oil furnace. You keep feeding it wood, and it's not working. You need to give it oil as well."

Cato just looked at Charlie. He must be insane. "What does this white boy know about furnaces?" he thought. Before he could say anything, Leon stepped in. "We got a thing of heating oil in the cabinet over there."

"Oh, great." Charlie retrieved the can of heating oil and went towards the furnace, but not before Cato stops him.

"You really think you can fix it?"

"I can try."

Cato was still having doubts, but he let Charlie do his work. Charlie went and filled the tank with the oil, and the flames inside roared. He used the valve to turn the gas down until the fire burned quietly. Leon went over to the heater and placed his hand on the vent.

"Hey, Cato! Come feel this!"

"It's warm. It's warm!" He looked at Charlie in astonishment. "You fixed it."

"All you have to do is feed it more oil, keep the valve on this level and let the fire do the rest."

Cato runs over to him and hugs him tightly, overwhelmed with great joy. "Charlie, you genius! You don't know how long I've been working on that furnace! Thank you, man! Thank you."

"You're welcome, man. Hey, maybe you can teach me how to be an engineer, huh?"

"Don't push it."