Chapter 2: Amari's Fate

The next morning, the black orphans woke up early for rollcall. Meanwhile, Mary was still in the boiler room. She used a piece of chalk to mark her tenth time trying to escape the orphanage. Suddenly, the door opened. She was then escorted to the bedroom for attendance. When she got to the door, Mr. Fletcher kneeled down and whispered:

"Now...you try that again, and I swear you will not walk in this room again."

Mary walked into the room and stood next to Regina while Mrs. Fletcher took attendance. Her whip stayed coiled on her belt. After attendance, the children went off to do their daily chores. Half of the girls were cleaning the kitchen while the other half went to fold laundry and change sheets. The boys were in the boiler room, fixing the furnace and doing other mechanics. In the kitchen, Mary was drying dishes with her friends.

"Morning, Mary," Jaliya, one of her friends, greeted. "Back from time out?"

"It wasn't time out, Jaliya. I was in solitary confinement."

"It's great having a little time to yourself."

"Welcome back." Her friend, Regina, joined in on the conversation. "How was the night this time?"

"At least, I wasn't flogged."

Suddenly, a loud boom came from the boiler room. The door opened, and gray smoke came out, followed by two black boys named Cato and Leon.

"Man, I told you a thousand times not to put in any firewood while I'm working on the gas valve," said Cato.

"I thought you already fixed the gas valve," Leon replied.

"I did...before it burst...again."

"You guys," one of the orphans, Amari, decided to butt in. "It doesn't matter. It's just gonna break down again."

"And how would you know?" asked Regina. "Have you ever worked the smoker?"

"No, but I bet it would be fixed if we spent more time cleaning and less time escaping."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Haven't you paid attention, Mary? Day and night, we've been trying to escape, and failed ten times in a row."

"So, you think this is my fault."

" 'I think?' Honey, I don't think. It is your fault."

"No, it's not, Amari," Regina rectified. "We just need to try harder."

"Exactly. There's no need to be negative."

"How is the truth negative?" asked Amari. "Ever since your mother died, you've always told us that there's a "better place" for us. Ten times, we've tried to escape this place and the Fletchers have caught us every time. Face it, Mary! The chances of negro children escaping is a million to one."

"There's still a chance for us!"

"Ten times! Ten times, you've been saying that. Well, I'm tired of failing. I'm tired of cleaning. When are you gonna wake and realize that niggers don't leave here?"

Sadly, Mary just replied: "...there is still a chance." The children watched as Mary quietly walked out of the kitchen. She went out the back entrance and sat on the steps. Her eyes began to water at the mention of her mother. She looked at the bracelet she left for her before she died. Regina came out and sat next to her.

"Don't listen to her, Mary. The North's not for people like her anyway."

"What am I doing wrong, Gina?"

"Nothing, Mary. If your mother was still here, she would be proud of what you're doing. Don't let Amari or the Fletchers tell you otherwise. You can't give up, and we're not giving up either."

"I know. There's still hope for us. I can feel it."

Suddenly, Akela, an African American/indigenous girl, rushed out the door.

"Hey, you guys need to come inside now."

"Why?"

"What happened?"

"It's Amari! She lost it!"

"What do you mean 'lost it'?"

"She said that she wasn't gonna put up with failing and getting whipped all the time. So, she stabbed herself!"

"What?!"

"Is she alright?"

"No, she's gone!" Akela's voice breaks as she was on the verge of tears. "They're gonna cremate her..."

Regina begins to comfort Akela as she breaks down. Mary didn't know what to think. She ran into the building and to the kitchen, where a dead Amari laid motionless. Blood from her wound stained her white shirt. Mary just stood there, shocked. Mrs. Fletcher came in and ordered Cato and Leon to carry Amari's body to the boiler room, or they will be burned themselves.

The boys did as they were told and dragged Amari down to the room with Mary following them. Hesitantly, they opened the furnace and tossed her in. Mary watched as Amari's body burned to a crisp. When it was over, the clothes were scorched, and Amari had dissolved to ashes. Mary walked back upstairs, and she was greeted with looks of despair. Regina was still comforting Akela as she wept. She and Mary were thinking the same thing when they made eye contact: "We've got to get out of here."

"We're sorry, Mary," said Leon.

"Sorry, sister," Cato added.

"Are we still on?"

Mary's look of sorrow was replaced with one of determination. "Oh, we're on alright. Spread the word: meeting tonight when the Fletchers go down."