Maybe

"You need what-"
William asks. leaning forward in his chair, resting his elbows on his knees and looking up at Benstro.

"Yes, undercover, it's risky, but it's worth it. Only issue is- we won't be changing your name, Y/N." Benstro sighs.

"What?" You ask, confused. Eret's grip tightens around your small hand.

"You two are going to be a married couple, Wilbur and Y/N Soot." Your eyes go wide, as do William's and he runs his left hand through his knitted brown hair. "You both know a murdering, clever couple is more enticing than anything else, so it'll catch his attention and he'll hopefully invite you both in, your task for the next few days is to gather your things, as this will move quickly. You need to learn how to act around each other, and remember- no speaking about the case unless you're using code words. We need to save Thomas, as I'm sure you're both aware." Your stomach churns when you hear the boys name.

Thomas Simons.

In a way to escape the drastic spiral of your thoughts you say the first thing that comes to your head. "Does he have parents?" Everybody looks at you, almost solemnly, hot tears rush to your eyes. "A best friend, at least?" Your voice cracks and Eret loops their arm around yours.

"the He has both." Benstro clears his throat.

"Oh dear God." You breathe out, letting the words fall from your mouth. You collapse into Eret, trying not to cry. That boys parents are probably worried sick, his best friends is probably miserable not knowing where he is.

"Thomas goes by Tommy, he's blonde. 6'3, scrawny, and has blue-gray eyes. If you see him, help him. Get him out, do whatever you need to do." Benstro starts telling you about the child trapped, alone. "He plays games for fun with his best friend, Toby." You can't help but let the tears fall. He's only a kid. Eret's hand lands on your back. You clear your throat and wipe your eyes.

"Y/N.." Gold starts but you cut him off.

"It's fine. I'm fine. I'm going home to pack."

You walk quickly out of the room, wiping the tears from your face. That made you look weak, in front of him. Eret follows you, grabbing onto your hand and swinging it as you walk quickly. He also towers over you, as you are very short. You grab your bag, letting go of his hand to swing it over your shoulder. You clasp your hand back onto his, letting your fingers intertwine. You wave to Niki and Floris as you walk out. Counting your steps and the slight rubbing of Eret's fingers on the back of your soft hand are the only things keeping you calm at the moment. Your pace picks up, your feet burning from anger of the situation, your eyes swelling with tears, your hand squeezing Eret's, your thoughts banging off the sides of your head. He's just a kid. He's just a kid. He's just a kid. He's just-

"Y/N? Breathe, please." Eret's deep voice penetrates your thoughts, breaking open your panic and leaving you defenseless to the tears that fall from your eyes for the second time today. You don't know why this hurts so bad. Maybe because he's a kid, maybe because you'll see him, or maybe- just maybe, it's because the nickname 'Dream' sounds so familiar. Your panic sets back in as Eret helps you to the floor that you seem to be sinking into. It feels as though the air has vacuumed your body, pushing you into yourself. You give into the pressure, curling into a ball on the ground by your car, Eret's arms wrapping around you while they whisper words that you can't understand into your ear. Your thoughts race, your panic being the finish line. It's a short race, with a million runners. As more flood in you start shaking, gasping for air, tunnel vision sets in and Eret opens the car door, pushing you in so you're not on the ground of the parking lot. They start driving while your panic attack delves deeper.
After what seems like forever, forever only being about three minutes, you push upwards for air. Your head hitting above the waves of doubt, fear, and panic. Your tears stop, your hands still shake, your body feels numb. A moment, a moment of calm. You feel their hand wrap around yours, and they look over with a small smile. "Is it over?" You nod in response. At least, you think its over.

"Can you sleep in my room tonight?" You ask them, they smile widely.

"Of course."

-

You crawl into bed, after Eret changes you out of your grimy work clothes, she doesn't mind, you're family at this point. After about ten minutes you feel her wrap her arms around your torso. You sink into her touch. It's comforting, although you know you'll have to get up early to pack and leave. For months, maybe years. You'll miss Christmas with her and your cats. You won't be able to contact her.
"Don't replace me. Please?" You say quietly, a small laugh comes from the person behind you. You'll miss constantly being able to change her pronouns, knowing the array makes her happy.
"I could never, we're forever." She smiles, pulling you closer. "Just don't end up like Johnathon." She sighs, you can hear the frown in her tone. You were a trio, his room in the three-bedroom apartment sits untouched. Neither of you dare to change anything, even the creepy cutout of the pope he insisted on keeping. You swear you can hear his laughs ring out from there still. His stupid broken desk, which he broke because the desk was made from cardboard. The baby doll that he would hang from the ceiling and hit like a bell anytime somebody walked in. It all sat there. Untouched, unlooked at. The two of you couldn't bring yourselves to look in there.
"I wouldn't dare." You nuzzle into your pillow and she hums in response. Your phone dings. You peer over and reach out your arm, careful not to disturb Eret. It's from William, it's long.

'Hey, I know this is gonna be difficult, and I know you don't like me- as I feel the same about you,' nice, ' but we need to be there for each other, whether you like it or not- because this won't be easy. It won't be easy seeing that guy and knowing what he's doing to that kid. I'm here for you, I expect you to be there for me. I'm coming to pick you up at 6:30, early, I'm aware lol but you can sleep in the car, it's a long drive. Figured out the guy is American, not sure why he's in England but I'm sure we'll figure it out later. Also did you know we get a house together? I think that'll be pretty fun, we can have cooking parties to bond or whatever. Anyways, goodnight Y/N, I hope we learn to like each other.' You smile at the text, it's stupid. You can't learn to like him, it just wouldn't happen. He's obnoxious. You respond with '(: <3' and leave it there. You put your phone down, plugging it in, you don't care about the whole 'it makes your battery weak' myth. You melt into Eret and fall asleep while she nuzzles her head into your hair. The sleep is peaceful