It Would Feel Like This

"Y/N, can I kiss you?"

As if you could step out of your body. As if you could push out of yourself and let time freeze. Well, that's how this felt.

You pushed out, your body and his completely freezing in time. Now, logically you know this isn't happening but fuck does it feel like it.

Can he kiss you?

One question.

One

simple,

tiny,

question.

Yes. Yes, please God, yes. You rush to get back into your body before another wave crashes down.

No. We're partners, we aren't supposed to fall for each other, much less kiss.

Your soul paces. The ghost of you, that very ghost watching your body crumble before this man. Your false feet meet the ground with every step. They shift every step between a tile and the groove between two.

Yes. Kiss him. You want to kiss him. You want him. You want more to kiss him. You want to feel his body over your own, around your own, inside of your own. You want to kiss him.

But can you?

Can you kiss him knowing that you work together? Can you kiss him knowing the drive home? Can you kiss him knowing you'll sleep in the same bed tonight, arm over waist, legs between legs? Can you?

Yes, you can.

No, you can't.

You can't kiss him. It would ruin everything. The chemistry would become too real. The acting would cease to exist and it would become real. The faux names would falter behind your closed door that wasn't really yours. The heartbreak wouldn't be fake. The mission could fail. That poor boy could die.

You go to climb back into your body, to tell him not until after the mission but the imitation of your real eyes, the one your soul keeps, lands on his.

Kiss him.

Do it.

But are you sure you're going to?

Is there a reason?

You have so many reasons not to, so many purposes.

You have so many reasons to kiss him, so many desires.

There's good reason not to, there's good reason to.

You've made up your mind.

You let your soul and body re-mend. Time comes back.

You open your mouth to answer.