Chapter 19

Year 5
(From book 3-Prisoner of Azkaban)

⚠️Minor curse warning⚠️ 

“Hey Bear, it's nice to see you again.” I say, setting down the basket of food I was holding and his tail wagged, telling me he felt the same.

He went to retrieve the lamented papers tucked into the tree stump and set them down so that we were sitting in front of each other. I started talking first.

“Have I been getting you enough food?”

He pawed through the papers and held up the one. Yes.

“That’s good, I was worried you weren’t eating enough.” I say, smiling at the large dog.

Are. You. Okay. He lined up and I chuckled a bit.

“I’m fine, a few days ago Ron saw Sirius Black hanging over him and my boyfriend has been ignoring me- which is really weird.” I say honestly, he had started acting like that right after his potions test and always looked so concentrated.

Why? B.O.Y.S. Ew. 

I roared with laughter to the point I was almost crying and Bear laughed with me. “Oh, I agree boys are very ‘ew’, but I have no clue why he is acting like that. I mean he could be jealous, all of my friends and roommates are guys- but you already knew that. Last time I talked to him was when he gave back my potions I loaned to him; even then he acted kind of off.”

It took him a while for his next response, but it said- D.U.M. B.O.Y. Use. You. D.U.M.P. Him.

“Bear!” I hissed, slightly surprised by his words, but found humor in them nonetheless. “He wouldn’t use me- no really- he’s a hard worker and a nice guy, I offered to help.”

H.E. Not. W.O.R.T.H. It. Just. D.U.M. B.O.Y. You. M.U.C.H. Better. He spelled out, clearly frustrated with sticking up for Oliver. I smiled at him. Is it odd I almost saw this dog as a parent figure more than my actual parents. I don’t know why, but he was just so easy to talk to and always took my side.

“You’re ridiculous, you know that Bear?” I say chuckling slightly. “You know, I’ve done some research and you’re obviously not a dog- so I’m guessing you are human. Am I right?”
I had caught the black dogs attention and he hesitantly slid over the ‘Yes’ card and I raised my eyebrows. “...Could I know your name?”

He sat there for a minute until he suddenly had this look in his eyes, that he knew exactly how to respond.

P.
A.
D.
F.
O.
O.
T.

...Padfoot? PADFOOT?!

“Holy crap!” I exclaimed and the dog-human-person frowned. “Oh- sorry. But you’re Padfoot! YOU ARE PADFOOT! Do you have any clue how happy I am? Oh my Godric, the name makes so much sense now!”

The poor guy looked absolutely confused, as if this was not the reaction he had expected at all. I had jumped up from my sitting position and started having a miniature celebration. By the time I had gotten my little dance out, Bear- Padfoot was patiently holding the Why paper in his mouth.

“Oh, of course you're curious- my bad Padfoot.” I smiled as I sat back down to face him. “You’re one of the makers of the Marauder Map- but you knew that. I am just so happy to finally meet one of the makers- Oh Fred, George, and Lee would be so jealous.”

His tail started to wag as he started to understand her excitement and let out a chortle laugh.

“Oh you must know who Prongs, Moony, and Wormtail are! Of course you do- I mean you’re you.” I announced excitedly, but he growled at Wormtail's name and his hackles raised.