six

𝘎 𝘙 𝘌 𝘠
chapter six

Harley walked right next to Jack as they left Corbyn and Jonah's house, a smile creeping its way onto her lips when she saw the small stairs leading them down the path to the street. She knew that that place was going to be remembered as one where Jack took initiative and wanted to make things better between the two them.

"What's got you smiling?" He asked her when they reached the sidewalk, letting his hands slip into the pocket of his hoodie once again. The hood was now resting on his hair, the wavy mess sticking out from underneath as his gaze fell back onto his old pair of Vans.

The brunette felt herself looking back at Jack every single time. She thought it must've been because she had not seen him for such a long time and missed him being around her, that she did not want to lose him out of sight anymore.

"Just thinking about all the things you have to do to make me forgive you," She joked, watching him round the corner while fishing the keys out of his back pocket, "Have you ruined the place already?"

Jack rolled his eyes at her before he turned around and unlocked the door to the shared house, stepping aside to let her in first. She walked past him after sending him a genuine smile, the sweet smell of flowery rose perfume hitting him instantly. He had to admit he sometimes sprayed some of the nearly empty bottle on one of his hoodies while he lounged around the house so it felt like she was with him, but preferred it when she was actually around. Like right now.

"Yeah I've trashed the whole damn place," He answered sassily after closing the door behind them, walking after her towards the living room. She instantly felt at ease when she saw the large and fuzzy nude colored plaid draped across the arm rest, the tea lights on the coffee table and the picture frames hanging on the wall.

"Do you need help with packing some stuff?" Jack asked her politely, watching how she turned around after his question to meet his eyes. She sighed softly before nodding her head with a smile and leading the way up the stairs.

It wasn't that she needed to pack a load of things, but Harley just really wanted to be as close as possible with him tonight. So if that meant him offering help and her accepting it, she was more than willing to take that opportunity.

When she switched on the lights of the bedroom, she found herself wanting to just lay on the bed and stare at the ceiling for a bit, the wine slightly taking its toll on her.

Jack noticed her swaying slightly, catching up to rest his hand onto the small of her back to keep her steady. She thanked him silently before shrugging of her jacket, Jack helping it slip off from her now bare shoulders.

He kept himself together, but found it hard not to just let his calloused fingers run up and down her arms and shoulders because he knew how much it calmed his girl down. Jack led her towards the neatly made bed and sat her down before untying her shoes and taking them off.

"Are you trying to get me in your bed, Avery?" Harley chuckled softly with closed eyes, letting herself fall back onto the bed. "I need to pack my stuff, not lay here like a drunk mess."

"It ain't the first time," He answered with a laugh, although he wasn't sure which question he was actually answering. Harley just laughed and let her hands rest onto her face, trying to block out the bright light of the lamp hanging down from the ceiling.

Jack noticed this and he walked towards the nightstand on his side of the bed, turning the small lamp on before turning off the one hanging from the ceiling. He looked at her, sprawled out on their bed with her legs dangling off the edge, feet swinging back and forth. It made him smile without being aware of it, the scene in front of him warming his heart.

It was obvious he missed her dearly when she wasn't there, but now that Harley was back -even if it was just to get her stuff- it was more than clear that he did not want to live without her anymore. Even the small things like smelling her perfume or watching her features from up close instead of scrolling through her sent selfies or Instagram or spraying her perfume on her pillow made his heart skip a beat.

"Okay, so what do you need, Lee?" He asked her after grabbing one of his travel bags, unzipping it before placing it onto the bed right next to her.

"Can you fold yourself up and put yourself in the bag?" She asked him with a giggle, letting her hands fall down next to her body so she was able to take a look at her in her drunken state.

Jack laughed before shaking his head, "I can't no," He smiled, squeezing her knee before walking towards the dresser to reach for some of her fuzzy socks and some underwear.

"Oh shit," She pouted, crossing her arms in front of her chest, "Then I think I don't need anything else."

Jack rolled his eyes at her playful behavior, knowing that her flirtatious side came out after a few glasses of wine and that she wasn't aware of what came out of her mouth. "So, any hoodies?"

"Yes!" She exclaimed loudly before rolling to the side of the bed, wrapping herself up in the duvet before letting out a content sigh. "Can I bring the one you're wearing now?"

He reached for a grey one that she would usually wear, surprised that she didn't let Daniel bring it for her after he came around to get some of her stuff about a week ago. He stuffed it into the bag together with some matching joggers, looking back at Harley to see her with raised eyebrows and a grin.

"Please?" She asked him, letting her lips set up into a pout, aware of the fact that Jack could not resist her in this state. He sighed deeply and reached for the back to take the hoodie off, leaving him in a simple oversized shirt with matching joggers.

She cheered before taking over the hoodie to slip it on immediately, the sleeves falling past her hands. She sighed contently, noticing how Jack was watching her in her intoxicated state. "What?"

He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, "I'm just glad you're here with me again - even if it's just tonight."