Chapter 16

Days turned to weeks and weeks turned to months without Lila by my side. Mom and Dad forced me to get my grades up again and to come out of my room to do whatever, but that's about it. I still spent my weekends in bed with the lights off and my blinds closed. It wasn't until summer that I started to get better.

It was a weekend so I didn't have to be social, but it was my birthday so Mom was trying to break our agreement. I heard the front door slam and people talking and laughing from outside my room. I groaned and covered my head with my blankets. They were so loud!

Mom opened my door quietly and whispered, "Koby, there's some people here to see you."

"Mom, we made an agreement that if I was social during the week, I wouldn't have to be on the weekends. I was social this week."

"But it's a special occasion. Now get up and get dressed. I want you in the living room in ten minutes." She shut the door before I could argue.

I turned my back to the door and continued to lay there. I laid there for another 15 minutes before someone came in. I stiffened, ready to be yelled at, but instead, I felt soft, warm lips rest my cheek. The lights flickered on a second later and I squeezed my eyes shut even more, covering my face. I heard my closet door open and clothes fall into a chair.

Whoever it was climbed onto my bed and started bouncing up and down. I mumbled and groaned in protest. Finally, They stared shaking me and trying to pull the blanket away from my face. I held it tighter and tighter with every pull.

Suddenly, everything went still. I waited and waited and waited. I finally decided to peak out from under the blanket. No one was there. I completely uncovered my head and sat up, the blanket falling like a puddle over my legs. I still couldn't see anyone. I looked at the chair by my desk to find an outfit laid out. I didn't imagine it. I swung my legs over the edge of my bed, still searching. The door was closed.

Without warning, my closet doors sprang open, making me jump what felt like fifteen feet off my bed. I looked up to whatever had jumped out of my closet to find Lila leaning over me, worry written all over her face.

Her long hair floated down her cheeks and her evergreen eyes pierced my yellow ones. She was the same as ever, like she had never left. Her dress clung to her chest and ribcage, the sleeves covering her arms all the way to her shoulders. The rest flowed down beautifully over her legs. It ended just above her knees. I wouldn't be surprised if I looked completely different.

I touched Lila's cheek with the back of my fingers. I couldn't believe she was here. She smiled at me and I hugged her tightly, pulling her towards my chest. I felt her fingers clinch at my t-shirt and pulling me closer (even though I probably smelt like I hadn't showered in days).

"God, I've missed you," I whispered. Lila pulled away to sit on my lap, her legs off to the side. When she got comfortable, she wrapped her arms around my neck. I wrapped my arms around her waist and rested me hands on her shoulders. I pressed my lips to one of my hands and squeezed my eyes shut. I never wanted to let go.

Lila had other plans so she pulled away again and pulled me to my feet. Smiling, she pushed me towards the bathroom to shower and threw a towel and my jeans after me. The door slammed behind me. I shook my head and rubbed my face. I already felt like she was gone. I got in the shower anyway just to get it done and was out before Lila even finished making my bed (I didn't really know why she did that by the way. She just did).

I stood in the doorway and watched silently so she didn't know I was there. I had put my jeans on so I had something on and dried my hair with my towel. After a few minutes, Lila turned to see me. She smiled again then glanced at my chest and turned away, handing me my shirt and playing with my pillow corner as if she was trying to get it perfect. I slipped on the thin t-shirt (it was one of my nicer ones). I hugged her again, pinning her upper arms to her sides. She touched my arms gently and leaned against me. I rested my head on hers.

"I'm nothing without you," I whispered. "My life is a wreck. I can't function. Half of the time, I can't even get out of bed, let alone eat or get dressed." Lila leaned on me more and tilted her head up to me. I pressed my lips to her forehead and we stood like that, Lila's head barely tilted backward and her back against my chest and my arms wrapped around her shoulders.

A few moments later, there was a knock of the door (I had forgotten I had closed it) and Lila and I both jumped. "Are you two ever coming out? We getting hungry!" a voice called. I assumed it was Rose. Lila laughed quietly and broke away. Pulling my hand, she forced me to join the party, though I couldn't pay pay much attention. I couldn't stay away from her. I practically orbited Lila like a satellite does to a planet. I wanted to spend my time with her to the fullest.