Chapter 30

I woke up to the front door slamming and two people yelling at each other. One was Rose. She was screaming to the voice to get out! It couldn't have been her boyfriend, Jackson, because he was off on a college feildtrip. Henry was off on a construction job a state away. But the voice was definitely male. And very angry.

I pulled my hand from Lila's which made Lila stir and rub her eyes. My arm was extremely stiff from being in the air for so long. I looked at the clock; it read 3 a.m.. Lila jumped when Rose started screaming again.

"I'LL CALL THE POLICE! THEY'LL ARREST YOU! YOURE NOT SUPPOSE TO BE HERE! GET OUT!" she threatened.

The voice laughed a horrible, humorless laugh, "THE HELL I AIN'T ALLOWED HERE! I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE HERE!"

"YOU HAVE NO-!" Rose's attack was suddenly silenced and I could hear dull whispers, but I couldn't understand what they we're saying.

I got up off the floor and crept to the door. Lila grabbed my arm without getting off the bed. Her face was panicked. I put my finger up to my lips so she wouldn't make a sound. Slipping out of her grip, I crept into the hallway to listen. I could hear the man whispering and soon I could see Rose pinned against the wall with a forearm against her throat. Her face was angry, but her eyes betrayed her. They were full of fear.

"...is my family. I just want to see my beautiful girls. I don't really care about Henry," the man whispered lightly as I peaked around the corner. He had his back towards me. "Where is my lovely daughter, Emily? I know she's here somewhere."

Rose said nothing at first. She was protecting her sister, but her eyes glanced my way involuntarily. The man caught it. He turned to me and the harshness was back in his voice.

"Who the hell are you?" he demanded. I stood tall.

"Who wants to know?" I asked calmly. I wasn't afraid; I knew how to kill a rabid dog.

The man laughed that horrible laugh again and smiled a devilish smile. "Smart boy. I'm Eddy. These girls are my daughters. I've paid them a visit."

"Sounds like they're not too happy about that." I simply said, "Why don't you come back another time? I'm sure they'd appreciate that considering it's 3 o'clock in the morning. I'm sure Henry would be happy to see you again, too. He should be back tomorrow." I looked at the clock. "Actually, he'll be back in a few hours if you'd mind to come back then."

Rose looked between her father and I. She looked even more panicked than before and slightly more confused, but I kept my eyes on Eddy. My face was as calm as ever as his turned red and blotchy with anger.

"Who are you to tell me when I can see my family?" he growled. His arm dropped from Rose's neck and she scrambled towards the phone. Eddy was too focused on me to notice. I intended on keeping it that way.

I stalked towards the wall opposite of Rose so he would turn his back to her, but I kept my distance. "I'm simply a friend. Henry didn't want to leave the girls alone for so long. And he knew Rose would have to go to work." I heard footsteps coming our way in the hall, but I kept my face calm and my eyes on Eddy. I circled him so his back was towards the hall and Rose. My yellow eyes looked into his, challenging him to look away.

He took the challenge, but said in a light hearted voice, "How nice of you to join us, Emily. Welcome to the party."