Chapter 9

Koby

-Age 16-

Pregnant mom was a pain, but tired mom was a monster! If there was anyone who loved her sleep, it was mom. And with the new baby, there was no sleep allowed. Scarlet seemed to always cry. It didnt take long to calm her down, but keeping her clam, that was the problem.

Scarlet loved people. She was a social butterfly at 3 months. I think that was the problem, too. She loved people so much so she hated to be alone. That's a lot of complication for a 3 month old.

Scarlet seemed to like me more than Lila, but that tore me away from Lila. Lila started to sulk around in her room more and shut her door behind her. It kind of sacred me that we'd go back to putting plates outside her door and she would become a ghost all over again. I tried to make up for it, I really did, but to no avail.

It wasn't until Lila tried to mend the bond that it was mended. I was playing with Scarlet so Mom could have a break. Lila walked in with a teddy bear and sat next to me. I smiled and she smiled back slightly. She seemed like she wanted me alone by the way she kept glancing over at me. Instead, She held out her arms for Scarlet and I handed her to Lila, putting a rag on her shoulder.

Lila was nervous at first, but she got used to it. Scarlet played with Lila's beautiful, bleach-blonde hair without pulling it or making it a mess. That was pretty surprising so I laughed quietly. Lila glanced at me with a nervous look. She probably thought she was doing something wrong and I was laughing at her. I smiled at put my hand on her shoulder to reassure her.

I got up as if I was going to leave the room and she looked panicked. I smiled and stretched. I had been sitting there for an hour and my back hurt like hell. Scarlet yawned and stretched too.

"I think it's nap time," I whispered. Lila handed Scarlet back to me and followed me to the nursery, teddy bear in hand. I put Scarlet in her crib and Lila placed the bear on the chair. I sat next to the bear so Scarlet knew I was there and wouldn't cry.

Lila watched me cautiously. I smiled at her to let her know everything was okay between us. She looked down at her hands, which were knotted together in front of her. I leaned over and tilted my head to look at her face. A.k.a. I forced her to look at me without ever moving her head. She smiled and huffed out a small breath.

Glancing at Scaret to make sure ahe was asleep, I took Lila's still knotted hands and dragged her out of there, shutting the door silently behind us. I hugged her and kissed her cheek. I had missed her terribly.

"I don't know what I'm going to do when we go to college..." I whispered. My lips lingered near her ear. Lila hugged me back, and after a while, I could feel her shaking. Confused, I tried to pull back, but Lila refused to let go. I felt something wet hit my t-shirt. She was crying.

In the last 4 years I had never seen Lila cry, not once. When she got hurt, she didn't cry. When she was overwhelmed, she didn't cry. When she shifted, she didn't cry. Even when she was yelled at, not a tear was shed from her beautiful green eyes. Now she was practically sobbing.

I held her tightly, still wondering what had happened. I didn't ask because I knew I wouldn't get an answer. I assumed it was what I said. I honestly never expected this reaction.

Lila's sobs didn't last long. In fact, I didn't even realize she had stopped. She still shook and she hadn't made a sound the whole time. Of course.

That was when I remembered we had never been separated for more than a few hours a day for 4 years. A few months must have felt like a life time to her.

"I'm sorry I haven't really been around. I didn't mean to hurt you," I whispered. Lila pulled away finally and wiped her eye with the back of her thumb. She breath was still ragged and her eyes were slightly puffy. Make me a monster, but it was absolutely adorable. I put my hands on both sides of her face and kissed her forehead. "It won't happen again. I promise."

It was a promise I had no idea of how to keep in two years, but I said it anyway. And I knew there was no way I would let her go it alone in this world.