Chapter 7

Cole and Isabel went to the cabin a few days later. Someone needed to check on the pack and Cole wanted to check on his house here. I would have gone with them to see if there were any more second generation wolves, but Lila still didn't like Cole. Instead, we played guitar together.

Lila was great at guitar, but not as great as Dad and I, so she usually played backup. I had been teaching her on and off for 3 years. Last year I had saved up and bought her her own guitar for Christmas. She seemed to enjoy it. And I enjoyed her reaction.

Today, we decided to go outside to play. Lila brought out a basket of food, even though we were in our own back yard, and I carried the guitar casses. It didn't take long for us to tune our guitars and pick a song. We warmed up with a few cords and started to play.

We played songs that were on my dad's album. My favorite was a song about mom (most of them were) saying that he was his summer girl. It was kind of ironic, though, because the first time they met was in dead winter. The first time they met when they were both conscious and in human form, (and mom actually realized he was there) it was almost winter time.

I loved their story. It was so... different from everyone else's. You could probably search the world and never find a story even close to their's.

That's also why I liked Lila and I's story, it wasn't a love story or anything, but it was ours and ours alone.

Lila tapped me on the shoulder, bringing be back to the present. I shook my head and mumbled, "Sorry about that." She smiled, happy to have me back. "Want to make something new? We haven't done that in a while." I suggested. Lila smiled wider and nodded.

We played around different chords until we were in perfect harmony. We began to play something neither of is had heard before and it was amazing. I had to record it. I pulled out a digital recorder from our basket. Dad usually kept one anywhere in the house. You could always find one and turn it on.

Starting over, we played again and just continued for a while. I'm not sure how long we played, but it didn't matter. The music floated in the air around us and we we're giddy with the sound.

The way we balanced each other out as if we knew exactly where the other would go next. We were very different people, yet here we were in perfect harmony with each other. I smiled. Lila giggled happily, not paying attention to anything but the music anymore.

Finally, we let the guitars sounds fade into the background and I ended the recording. What had seemed like hours had only taken a few minutes. Lila looked like if she could, she would fly. I laughed at the look in her eyes. Wild. Free.

She fell back onto the grass while her guitar still sat in her crossed legs. Her eyes closed and a giant smile appeared on her face. It was the ultimate high for her. I don't think I had ever seen her so happy.

She was so much fun to watch when she was like this. Her laugh was breathy but exilerating to hear. It was like she had just run a marathon. I laughed again, both at the thought at at her. She smiled wider and thre her hands above her head, throwing them to the ground.

I didn't see mom come out at all. I was too distracted. It was a flash I noticed. When I looked up mom stood with a camera, not too far away. I was still smiling so the next shot was still a good one. The high began to wear off and we started to become our normal selves. Lila sat up at little so her weight was on her elbow, but she could look at mom. Then mom became a more serious, too.

"Can you two come inside. We have something We need to talk to you," she said. Then my heart stopped. Last time they said we had to talk, Lila was almost taken away. I followed Lila who had followed Mom inside.