Chapter 1

Lila didn't really like to come out of her room. She stayed there for days on end. We tried to leave stuff outside her door and it would disappear by the next morning, but no one ever saw her actually come out to grab it. She was a ghost.

I was helping Dad fix breakfast for Mom and Lila when I first heard the stairs creak. I didn't really think anything of it at first. The stairs creaked all the time. It wasn't until Dad looked up that I did.

Lila stood in the entry of the kitchen, watching. Her hair was wet, but clean and clinging to her dress and her face. Her arms were crossed behind her back, her legs were together and her back was straight. She was.... enchanting. She didn't sway or move in any way but she watched us like a wolf watching to see if the things in front of her would be a threat.

Dad spoke first, "Would you like something to eat? We have bacon, scrambled eggs and oatmeal. I can make you something else if you want, though Grace it the real chef." A small smile touched the corner of her lips as she stepped closer. One step and she stood unmoving again.

"We won't bite," I promised. She walked to the counter, slightly avoiding us, and hopped on in one simple movement that she somehow made complicated.

"Do you want something else?" Dad asked again. She just showed that tiny smile again and shook her head. Everything about her seemed tiny and elegant to me. Her hands were folded neatly on her lap. She didn't fidget at all but sat with perfect posture.

Silently, Lila pointed at the eggs, snapping me out of my trance. I quickly saved them from burning. I wondered how long I'd been staring. Smooth... I put the eggs on a plate next a bowl of oatmeal Dad had set aside for himself. Mom and I didn't really like oatmeal. Dad did the same with the bacon.

"You're not very talkative, are you," Dad pointed out. It wasn't really a question. She shrugged. It wasn't really an answer. "Do you just don't like to talk or is there some other reason?" She held up two fingers.

"But you agreed that you can talk when you first got here," I butt in.

"When was this?" Dad asked me. I didn't answer because Lila did a motion of sewing her mouth shut. Normal people zip their mouths, but she sewed it. What was that suppose to mean?

"You're mute," Mom said from behind me. She made me jump, but Lila simply nodded. Why is everybody so quiet?!

"Make some noise, Mom! You scared me!"

She smiled lazily, "Maybe you should listen better. Anyway, did you make any coffee?" She walked to the red coffee pot she had bought in college. I didn't really know why she wanted it so badly. It was just a coffee pot to me, but it meant a lot to her. She found it empty and groaned.

"We weren't expecting the 'early bird' to be up already," Dad simply stated and kissed her cheek. I laughed. Mom hated getting up.

"Can I have a cup?" I asked with a grin.

My parents replied, "No!", together. I handed Lila a plate of food. Her movements were slow as she ate, but they were forced that way. I almost asked her why she did that, then I remembered; she wouldn't reply.

That's how the morning went. Mom made coffee-and gave some to Lila, I might add, when Lila motioned that she wanted some. Dad ate his nasty oatmeal. I made jokes throughout breakfast and Lila sat like a doll the whole time: watching and barely smiling with us. It started to become a routine.