Chapter 8

Mom and Dad sat us on the couch in the living room. Mom sat of the recliner and Dad stood next to her. They looked so morbid. Glancing at each other, they decided how to do this. Whatever this was. I was ready for something about Lila. Not this.

"We don't really know how to tell you two this..." Mom started. I put up my defences.

"I guess we can just come out and say it..." suggested Dad. Wow. No sugar coating. Great. Not.

Mom took a deep breath and said, "I'm pregnant."

I started to bust up laughing! I couldn't believe what she had just said! I laughed so hard I nearly fell off the couch! I couldn't even catch my breath!

"Good one!" I laughed, "You had me worried!" I laughed for a good 10 minutes before finally taking a deep breath. "That was funny. Just thinking about it makes me want to laugh again."

I wiped my eyes and sighed, sitting up again. That when I saw their faces. They were completely serious. I glanced between them. Lila touched my arm, gently. I must have been pale.

"You're not joking...." I whispered.

"No, we're not. We were afraid to tell you," Mom said. I leaned back and covered my mouth with my hand, crossing the other arm across my stomach. I took a deep breath. I'm going to be a big brother... I smiled. I liked the sound of that.

"How long have you known?"

Dad griminced. "A little over a month."

"What?! You've known for this long and you didn't tell me?!" Now I was practically on the edge of my seat, confused and furious.

"Koby, calm down. We were worried there would be some medical problems so we didn't want you to get your hopes up. There's still a chance that it might not make it," Dad interrupted.

Mom sighed. "We thought we should tell you before I stared to show. We had so many miscarriages before you came along and you were so, so sick when you were born..."

"Why? Why did you have so many miscarriages, I mean."

Dad glanced at Mom. She ran her fingers through her hair. She looked so tired. "We think they were trying to shift before they were born," Dad said simply, though it seemed like it would be more complicated than that.

I sat back again and held my stomach. "Ow."

Mom laughed. "Yeah, imagine that happening seven times." I shivered the same time Lila did.

Lila walked her to Mom and knelt beside her. She hovered a hand over Mom's tummy. "You won't be able to feel anything," Mom said. Lila shrugged and put her hand there anyway. She smile as if she knew the baby would be alright. I believed her.