Chapter 13

And they did. It just wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Dad finished reading the article after Mom and handed my phone back to me. He looked at Lila, "Do you know them? The people who are looking for you?" Lila nodded, looking down at her hands. We were in the living room. We always seemed to have family meetings like this; Lila and I sat on the couch while Mom sat in the recliner with Dad at her side. The only difference was Scarlet, who was in Mom's arms. I focused on Scarlet.

"I thought you said you didn't have any family or a home to go back to," Dad said.

"Wrote," I whispered.

"What?" Mom said.

"She didn't say it, she wrote it," I glanced up at Dad and he nodded.

"Wrote. Either way, we can't just pretend they don't exist," Dad pointed out.

"You said you have their number, Koby?" Mom asked. I nodded and took out my phone.

The screen flashed to life and I did nothing for a second. A small hand closed around mine, giving my other hand life again to scroll to get the number. I found it and typed it in. It rang and rang and rang until finally, I heard a faint, "Hello?" The phone still sat in my hand, but on my lap. When they asked again, Dad gently pried my fingers away and took the device in his own hands, he put it on speaker.

"Hi, we're calling about the missing girl, Emily... Carson I believe it was."

The female voice on the other line was clear as crystal, "Look, if this is another call to tell us the stats of my sister being dead, you can just hang up now."

"It's not about stats," Dad replied kindly. "We have your sister, Emily and we would like to return her home safely."

There was static on the other line and I thought she had hung up. Then, slowly, she replied, "When can we meet up? I have to see her, I have to see my sister." The voice cracked when she said 'sister'.

Dad took the phone off of speaker, "Anytime tomorrow would be fine." I blocked out the rest. Lila moved closer and intertwined her fingers in mine. I smiled slightly at her. I really didn't want to lose her.

Mom sighed and stood up with Scarlet, "If I sit anymore my legs are going to fall asleep." She kissed my head, then Lila's, and went upstairs. I thought I saw her shoulders shake a little when she walked away.

After a few minutes Dad handed the phone to me. "I told them you were coming with us." I nodded thankfully and watched as Lila stood up and hugged him; her hands around his waist and her forehead against his chest. Dad was the person she always went to when I was busy so they had gotten pretty close. Dad hugged her back then let go. "I'll be upstairs with Grace if you need us."

"Thanks," I said. He smiled at me and left. "Do you even want to go?" I asked Lila. She shook her head. "I didn't think so." I grabbed the TV remote and waited for Lila to join me. "You never want to go anywhere." Lila smiled at me and curled up to my side. We watched TV until it was time to go to bed and Lila slept in my bed for the last time.