Chapter 2

I looked over at the clock to see that it was 5:30 PM. I groaned and went back to my desk to close up for the day. I was feeling the effects of not having enough sleep the night before. I logged off of my computer and cleaned my stethoscope and put it in the drawer. 

"Do you need anything from me Dr. Henderson?" I asked, silently pleading that he would say no. 

"Go ahead, I'll just be here finishing up charts," I hear him yell over the soccer game. I rolled my eyes but was thankful that he didn't need me anymore. I clocked out and pushed in my chair. 

"Good night!" I yelled as I left to hear a faint goodnight back from his office. I glanced at my watch to see that it was almost 6:00. I decided to stop by the dining hall to grab something for dinner before I went and took a long, hot shower. 

My parents had worked in our town for the school district. Growing up, I was fairly normal. I liked to read and watch medical documentaries but other than that I played sports and had friends. After I graduated high school, I went to college and got my medical assisting training. I managed to land a job with SHIELD, which was perfect because I got to do what I loved everyday. 

I walked into the dining hall and made it over to the line. I grabbed a tray and began to grab some ingredients for a simple Caesar salad. I also grabbed a plate of chicken Alfredo and a water bottle. I walked over to a table and waved at a few other agents that worked in the medical facility for another doctor. I began to eat my food as I scrolled through my phone. I sent my mom a quick text letting her know I would call her later tonight and went back to Facebook. 

I looked up over hearing commotion. Dr. Banner and Nick Fury had walked into the dining hall. Immediately we all stood up and were at attention. 

"Dismissed," Fury said with a nod, scanning around the room. Dr. Banner just looked uncomfortable with all eyes on him and kept talking to Fury quietly. I met his eyes and noticed that his seemed to light up. Confused, I went back to my pasta and Facebook. 

I heard the room rise up again when Director Fury and Dr. Banner had left. Mostly rumors about what they could be talking about or doing in the dining hall. I rolled my eyes and realized that if it was important for us to know about, we would get an email or briefing on it. 

Once I finished my dinner, I headed back to my small suite. Scanning my badge at the door, I headed in and kicked my shoes off. I made a beeline to the shower. 

After my 30 minute shower, I hopped out and put on some comfy sweats. One thing from working at SHIELD is that you always dress in case you have to leave immediately. Too many middle of the night drills taught me to ditch the fancy pjs. 

I crawled into my bed and pulled out my phone to call my mom. After a few rings, she picked up. 

"Hi honey how was your day?" I smiled hearing the dogs barking in the background. 

"It was good. Long and ended with a procedure but it was good." I heard her laugh and shoo one of the dogs away. 

"Good! Oh honey when are you going to visit? Your father and I miss you so much!" I sighed knowing that my parents still don't understand why I moved away. I wanted to be off on my own and be an adult. 

"As soon as I have some more vacation time, I will come visit, I promise." My mom sighed. 

"You just work so hard honey. When are you ever going to settle down?" I rolled my eyes. 

"Mom, I don't need a man to make me happy." My mom laughed. 

"Oh honey you've been saying that since you were 14." 

"And I'll keep saying it until I'm dead." I laughed at my mom and her romantic character. 

"I've gotta go mom. Tell dad hi for me." 

"Will do sweetheart, love you." 

"I love you too." I hung up and snuggled into my bed. It was early, only being 20:00, but after last night and today's long day, I was ready for sleep. 

As I began to doze off, my phone beeped in the middle of my movie. I cracked an eye open and clicked on the email notification. 

Agent H, you have a new assignment. Debrief at 08:00. Conference room 10.  

I was in shock. Once you were in the medical facility, you hardly ever got a new assignment, unless you were moving bases or going into the field. I tried to rake my brain for if there was anything I've done wrong, forgot to chart that could possibly lead to me being in trouble. I came up with nothing and realized I would have another long night of restless sleep. 

At least I get to sleep in the morning and with that. I plugged my phone in and shut off my lamp to try and enjoy the next 8 hours.