Chapter 30

Days passed by, uneventfully. I tried to stay out of the sightline of my other soulmates so they wouldn't have to be more tormented than they were already. 

I had managed to convince Fury to let me have a computer so I could cook and bake new things, as well as some ribbons for aerial yoga. I think I may have given Steve a heart attack when I was practicing though. 

Flashback 

I had come out of my bedroom to see that my ribbons were installed for yoga. I was quite excited and went and threw on some shorts and a tank top. I tied my hair up out of the way and slipped on fingerless gloves. 

I began climbing up and wrapping myself in the ribbon, loving how it felt perfectly silky and strong. I twisted myself upside down and then let myself drop. I heard a crash and I opened my eyes, thinking that was how I died. 

Instead I came face to face with a very worried Steve that had a broken plate and glass behind him on the floor. He was yelling and pointing at me to get down. I laughed and shook my head no. I was dangling above the safety mat upside down. 

I grabbed my ribbons and begun to pull myself back towards the top, to do a different drop. 

Jumping back to my present thoughts, I decided to grab another pair of shorts and a sports bra. The team had made it so FRIDAY would notify them and also record me so they could watch. Apparently I was fascinating to them, including Vision, who after that incident with Steve spent the evening lecturing me about safety. 

I slipped on gloves and stretched my body on the mats below. I grabbed the silks and begun to stretch and rotate my joints. I sighed as they cracked. I missed training. I missed being in the med bay doing mountains of paperwork. Well maybe not the paperwork part. 

I saw that Natasha had joined the living space outside of my containment. She had pointe shoes wrapped around her feet, also dressed in workout gear. I begun to spin while Natasha stretched and did a combo. 

Her time in the Red Room had given her enough training to professionally be a ballerina if she wanted to. I stopped myself and watched in awe as she glided across the floor. Clint had taken a seat in the background watching us both. 

My heart lurched for my soulmates. I missed being with them and listening in on their playful banter. 

Later that evening, the lights flickered again. At this point it didn't bother me because I knew it was Vision. I didn't even look up from my book. 

"Hey Vis. How was your day?" I turned the page and begun to skim through the next paragraph. 

"I'm not Vision." I dropped my book to see Steve standing there. I threw it aside and jumped up. I loved Vision and all but it's not the same as hugging a warm, living, breathing human. Steve wrapped his arms tightly around me. 

"I thought we could have a date since everyone else seems to have gotten one except me," Steve smiled. His face was no longer clean shaven and his hair had grown long. It was hot. 

I stood up and pulled him to my kitchen, where we spent the next hour cooking and eating together. Even though it was midnight, we acted like it was usual date night. After we ate, we curled up on my bed, with a random Disney movie on in the background. 

"What's your favorite color?" Steve asked while thumb wrestling me. I furrowed my brown while trying to win. 

"Probably blue. It comes in such varying shades from the ocean to the sky." Steve hummed in agreement. 

"Where do you wish you could travel to?" I asked him as I fought for a win. 

"I'd love to go visit the national parks across the US. I feel like so much of our time is spent just running around from mission to mission that I don't get to enjoy the beauty and simplicity of nature," his answer was honest and it made me smile. 

"Someday, I'll take you to Yellowstone. You would love it," I replied to him. My parents tried to spend my summers road tripping around the country so I could see more but also so I wouldn't cause trouble in my hometown. 

We spent the rest of the night just like my favorite scene from Princess Diaries 2: chatting, slow dancing, and eventually falling asleep in each others arms.