Soulmate Theory Origins

The idea of soulmates can be traced back to the beginning of times. However the earliest idea of the concept comes from the Greek philosopher, Plato quoting the poet Aristophanes: 

"All humans were once united with their other half, but Zeus split them apart out of fear and jealousy."

Over the years, some religions have accepted or denied this, with only a handful of real life examples. 

The soulmate theory came about the mid 1800's. A couple was found with matching birth marks. They stumbled upon each other by accident and fell in love despite the class differences. They were nearly identical in personality and traits. 

Soulmates were said to have similar personalities, thus allowing them to better suite each other.  Besides sharing the same mark, the distinct mark was in the same location on both. Some claim that they saw in color after finding their soulmate, but that was passed off as fable. 

Over the next 200 years, there had been a handful of other examples. There was much opposition in the ideas, with scientists claiming that they were fake marks and people made up for attention. Some were even accused of witchcraft and burned at the stake. 

Coming upon the more modern age, few more 'soulmates' began to emerge. While the idea was played off by the general public, who didn't care for silly fairytales now. 

However, there were some, who had marks and analyzed them. They spent years searching to the ridicule of others. The era of the internet came around, and soon people were able to search in secret. Hidden forums with vague usernames let people more openly explored the concept. 

While gaining popularity, with even some celebrities showing their own soulmate marks, those more traditional folk, hide and assume it is nothing more than a dream. But some, still secretly dream in their heart.