Chapter 8

I sighed as I rolled over for the 100th time that night. After dinner last night, I knew I wasn't going to be able to sleep. I knew today was going to be hell between first day of official work, lack of sleep, and unanswered questions about my past. I glanced over at the clock. 

3:45 AM taunted me in red. I groaned and sat up, stretching my back out a little. If I wasn't going to be able to get sleep, I might as well go workout. I was overdue for a gym session and it would help me control my mood. 

After changing, I quietly asked FRIDAY for assistance in showing me to the gym. Once there, I began to stretch out my muscles before hoping on a treadmill. I plugged in my headphones and ran. I couldn't shake the look that was in Tony's eyes the night before. 

I breathed deeply as I ran down the pavement road. 

Help, I screamed. No one was around to help. I kept running and screaming for help. I could hear the crackles from the fire behind me. I started to hear a high pitch whine and knew that it was headed towards the gas tank. 

Turning around, I saw the school bus nearly completely in a blaze. I couldn't even hear the screams from the other kids as the whine started to get louder. I ran off the side of the road and hid behind a boulder as the fire ignited with the gas tank, exploding the bus and its passengers into a million little pieces. 

Once the hail of rubble died down, I slowly peeked out from behind the boulder. I saw police cars and fire trucks in the distance come from the same direction as us. Knowing I couldn't be seen, I got up and ran through the woods back to our farm. I pushed through the front door to my mom hanging up the phone on the wall. She gave me a look of pity and motioned for me to head upstairs. It was time to pack again. 

Being pulled out of my memory, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Instinctively, I grabbed the arm and hopped off the treadmill letting the person who touched me, get thrown over it. 

"It's just me doll," I heard Bucky say as I pulled out my headphones. He groaned and tried to stand up. 

"I'm sorry," I said looking towards the floor as I turned the treadmill off. The clock on the wall taunted 5:45 AM at me, letting me know my memory had consumed most of the morning. Bucky stood up and walked over to me.  I stiffened and he held his hands up in front of him. 

"I'm not going to hurt you. I just came to check on you and let you know the others will be here soon to start training," I nodded but still didn't move any closer to him. 

"Why are you helping me?" I tilted my head. Knowing what the Avengers go through on a daily basis, I should be public enemy number 1 with the secrets I am keeping from them. 

Bucky smiled sadly at me, "I understand where you are coming from Harmony.  You'll tell us when you can." I nodded. 

"Thank you," and with that I turned and excited the gym, hurrying back to my room to get ready for the day. 

I took my time showering and washing my hair. I had even lit a candle before I got in the shower to try and make it more meaningful. I scrubbed and shaved and tried to rid myself of the incident in the gym this morning, but I couldn't. 

"Miss Harmony, your presence is being requested at breakfast before you go to work," FRIDAY's voice came through the speakers. 

"Give me 15 FRIDAY," and with that I hopped out of the shower to get dressed. I decided that since it was a formal clinic day, I would throw on a pair of grey jogger scrub bottoms and a matching top. I decided to grab a jacket in case I got cold. I threw on tennis shoes and headed down to start the shit show that was my day.