Dynasty Part 1 (Dylan)

Palace life bores me

Palace life bores me. Our kingdom is at the edge of the Gobi Desert in the Northern outpost of Gansu, and at 20 years old I have never left the city walls. It's too dangerous to go out there they say, there are too many warring tribes that surround us. But you see all I yearn for is to travel to the seas in the East and climb the lush green mountains of the South. I once had a tutor who traversed the vast domains of this great nation in his youth, and even to kingdoms in the lands beyond. He spoke of the tremendous beauty of the world... how there was so much more to life other than the luxury of the Imperial palace walls and the guarded safety of the citadel. His words have made me dream of wild adventures and I have vowed to myself that the first opportunity I get, I will leave this place and live a truly exciting life.

I am the fifth son of Emperor Wang He Jun and therefore have no real responsibilities. Amongst his three wives, my father is fondest of my mother and therefore I'm his favourite son. This does not sit well with my older brothers who each have a sibling from their own mothers, leaving me the odd one out. They make no effort to hide their contempt for me and as I have grown older, taller and into my features, it has become evident that I'm viewed as the finest face in the land, thus further fueling their envy. I am also the best trained in the martial arts and my swordsmen skills are excellent. My riding and hunting skills are unmatched, having been taught from a young age by my favourite uncle who died when I was 15. I'm what you would call an all-around over achiever and this, added with the fact that I am royalty, comes with many advantages.

For instance I'm very popular with the ladies...I have had my bed warmed by several girls since the age of 16 and I can't say that I'm complaining. My best friend Wu Xi Ze and I... the son of my father's closest and most esteemed confidant, Minister Wu Tang Liu, will sneak out of the palace and drink at the various Tavern Inns, to check out what the local beauties have to offer, whenever I feel uninterested with the women in my royal harem.

Tonight is one such a night and we are currently tying our horses to the hitching rail outside the Inn. We are dressed as poor folk not wanting to attract attention to our wealth and it is fortunate that as the youngest son, our subjects do not really know what I look like. We enter the Tavern and look around for a place to sit. Luckily there is a table available that gives us an optimum view of the thoroughfare. We order our Baijiu and wait to see what the evening has in store for us.

"Do you think Li Jia Qi will be performing tonight?" Asks Xi Ze, scoping the place with his eyes.

Ever since Xi Ze set his eyes on the songstress he seems to be in love with her. It's probably the reason why he always keeps insisting we come to this place first, every time we go out. I shrug my shoulders somewhat indifferently. I do not understand why he has not yet bedded her so that he can move on. It's not like as the son of the highest ranking minister in the land, he will be able to have some kind of future with her.