Chapter 11: Maia

Chapter 11: Maia   

    The glass television screen flickers with different colors. My eyes are staring at the screen yet my mind is flooded by a very recent memory. Kissing him was a mistake. It was enjoyable, passionate and amazing but it was still a mistake. I was foolish to think that he was different because of our conversation last night but Andrew is still the type of person who can be more than one girl a night without feeling any true emotion. At first I didn't know if he kissed me because he genuinely liked or if it was just because he wanted to kiss someone. This morning’s outburst proved he doesn't feel anything towards me and I shouldn't either. However the words shouldn't and don't have very different meanings. 

    “Maia. You okay? You seem a bit out of it today.” Colton says as he changes his focus from the screen to me. We are both seated on his bed, watching some dumb movie that I seen a dozen times. My parents are out of town on a business trip together and my brother is spending extra hours at work which left me and Anabelle alone in a house together. Her ridiculous questions about Andrew because too obnoxious so I came over to Colton’s house.

    “I’m fine.” I tell him but he’s too smart to believe me. He throws himself onto his dark red comforter and looks up at the ceiling.

    “Do you remember when we were seven and I told you my mom was sick?” Colton asks as he pushes up his black framed glasses and I nod, remembering the night perfectly. His mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and she died eleven months later. “It was a summer night and we we’re both laying in the grass, trying to find the stars in the sky. There are billions of stars in space but we couldn't see many because of the light pollution but we didn't know that.” He laughs gently. “You kept looking at me and finally you asked me what was wrong. I told you I was fine but you said you knew I was lying because people only say they are fine when they really are not.” He looks over at me. “That’s how I know you are lying Maia. You said you’re fine. So tell me what’s wrong.” 

    “You’re a really smart person.” I sigh. As I begin to tell him about last night, Jet suddenly appears in Colton’s bedroom wearing the same clothes he did this morning. I almost fall off the bed, completely startled by Jet’s sudden presence. 

    “God. You scared me!” Colton says to the man standing in the middle of his bedroom. 

    “Sorry but I didn't have time to call ahead. This is kind of urgent.” Jet responds. Before Colton can reply, Andrew flashes into the room, landing on his knees. I gasp at his presence, obviously unprepared to see him again. Just seeing him makes me want to smash my fist into his face and cry at the same time. Every time I think about him I long for his kiss but at the same time I loath his existence. Andrew’s arms grip onto the bed sheets and uses them to support him as he lifts his body from the ground. I assume his ankle or leg is injured because of the crutches laying on the floor right next to were he landed when he teleported into the room. His deep blue eyes scan the room and when they fall on my he immediately jerks his head in the opposite direction, completely ignoring my presence. The image of Colton and I both siting on a bed together might have added onto his already suspicious idea that Colton and I are secretly together which I find completely ridiculous. 

    “My guess is that you didn't use a running start before you teleported up here.” Colton comment is aimed at Andrew but Andrew ignores him. 

    “We need you two to come to the hideaway. Zeke is missing and you guys to stay with Sapphira for a little bit while Drew and I go look for him.” Jet tells us. Andrew’s head goes up and his eyebrows narrow. 

    “Both of them? We honestly only need Colton.” Andrew scoffs but still avoids looking at me. My insides shake at his cold remark and I can actually feel my anger and frustration begin to boil.