Chapter 2: Andrew

Chapter 2: Andrew

I don't understand how people don't like to run. Running is like a small break from the real world. It's just you and the ground. It's peaceful. Well at least when you're running alone, which is not my case at the moment. I'm being chased. Awesome, right? A few minutes ago, I stole a few candy bars from a little shop on the corner of Maddison Avenue. I didn't steal them because I was hungry, which actually has been my motive plenty of times when I was a little younger. I stole them for the rush. I've been cooped up in an abandoned building with the same people for a whole week and I needed a little excitement in my life. Who knew a shop owner would be so pissed about some missing candy. The man keeps screaming at me in a deep loud voice telling me to stop, come back, that I'm a thief. I'm finally able to lose him in the crowd of busy people, but I hear his last protest against me.

"Go back to where you came from street rat!" Ouch, that hurt. I smirk as I slow down into a fast walk. He's right. I'm not from here. Yes I'm from New York but not this flashy part of it. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Actually I wasn't born there. Or raised now that I think about it. But still, I've spent an awfully large amount of my life there. Here in New York you can be really rich or insanely poor. Unfortunately, I fit in the second category. When I do come to Manhattan, I spend most of the days with the only rich kid I can stand, Colton Reed.

The brisk morning wind presses against me as I pull my black leather jacket tighter to my body. The thing about Manhattan is that it is always busy. Giant buildings tower over me as my eyes wander around. The bright signs on every corner are still shining and playing their useless advertisements. On jumbo screen that catches my eye is an advertisement for a brand new phone model. The entire phone is transparent glass and has the ability to project pictures and videos in 3D. These idiots keep spending money making a new model of something every single year when people on the other side of the city are starving to death. Well done America. I run through the traffic to get to the other side of the street and almost get hit my a taxi. The taxi driver's horn has some sort of spasm attack and I simply give him a mocking wave.

At the end of the street a gigantic building sits over a hundred stories tall. Videos and images of the building's projects and accomplishments project across the endless rows of rectangular windows. The center of the building reads "NYGS Research Center". New York Government Science Research Center. For the last half century New York has been the most important city in the US and the government started building all their fancy buildings here. There are other major government buildings scattered across the city but this one is the largest and most impressive. I also think that whatever made me the way I am was produced here but Jet think's I'm a dumb ass and only believe that because this is the only science research center I've ever seen. It's funny that he thinks I'm dumb because technically, I much smarter than him. I'm not bragging, it's just the facts.

I stop in front of an iron gated neighborhood that protects about fifty mansions. When no one is looking, I grab a hold of the twelve foot fence and climb over it. My sneakers make contact with the asphalt on the other side of the gate. I begin to make my way to Jefferson street and I get to Colton's house my good mood is immediately shattered. His father's car is parked in front of the garage door. "Shit" I mumble under my breath. That man despises me and he has only seen he a few times. It's pretty obvious that he hates when his son hangs out with lower class kids like me. Every time I see him, the man gives me this look as if I'm some kind of criminal.

I avoid the front door and go over to Colton's window and pick up a few rocks from the ground. There's a pretty good chance that I could break his window, but I don't really care. It's not like he can't afford to replace the glass. "Sleeping Beauty! Get you're ass up and let down your hair!" I shout up at the second story window as I throw rocks at it. An older lady who is walking her dog around the neighborhood gives me an odd look so I smile at her. She makes an even weirder face and picks up her pace to a fast walk. What a nice lady. Continuously, I throw rock after rock at his window. Finally, a half naked Colton shows up and opens the window. I don't notice right away so I throw another rock, hitting him in the face.