Chapter 5: Maia

Chapter 5: Maia

    He’s here. I was practically kidnapped while I was waiting for this psycho and now Colton’s here, in this “hideaway”, obtaining abilities that are only possible in comic books and superhero movies. I try to speak but not a word escapes my slightly open lips. I think I’m still trying to process what I have just witnessed. It takes a few moments until I notice Jet’s hand stretched out, waiting for mine to shake it. But I still stand still. I analyze the complete stranger right in front of me. He’s tall, tall enough that I have to move my entire head to look up at him. Probably six foot one. Jet’s light brown messy styled hair hangs to one side, exposing his dark roots. Jet raises an eye brow but then brings down his right hand and his pink lips curve into the slightest smile. 

    “I’m going to tell you some information and it’s probably going to be astonishing but you just need to listen. You can ask questions later.” Jet says. I notice a girl a little younger than me standing against a wall and she laughs. She’s shorter than me with dark brown, almost black almond eyes and glossy ebony hair that cut of at her waist. My best guess is that she’s partly native american. She runs her fingers through her hair, exposing her collection of bracelets on her wrist. 

    “Probably isn't a good word to use. She’s gonna flip.” She directs her words towards Jet but when her eyes reach mine, she gives me a sincere smile, almost as if she feels bad for me. Jet turns around, noticing her presence.

    “All of you, out. This is private.” He half yells and his jaw sets in a firm line. 

    Colton, approaches who I assume is their leader, and speaks up. “You know I’m not leaving.” He tells Jet, who is noticeable much taller. Jet nods and the rest of the people evacuate the room, leaving him, Colton and I alone in the room filled with screens and computers. 

I was in shock and disbelief for a few moments after they explained to me what I am. I am still socked but it explains everything that I thought was wrong with me. I’m genetically mutated, they don't know how, but that’s just what I am. The people here call themselves, well I guess ourselves Extras. Savvy. The name repeats in my head over and over again. Telepathy and telekinesis. It’s impossible but true. I don’t understand what I feel at the moment as I sit in this room, the “tech room”. My heart is racing as I process the load of information that was thrown on me all at one. I fell as if I’m being buried alive. “This is insane!” I keep trying to tell myself. But it’s not. Colton even moved a chair gently across the room to show that Jet and he we’re not lying. I’m some genetic mutant with these powers that should belong to the super heroes in the books I read.

     “Are you okay?” Colton pulls me out of my analytical state. What a dumb question. I chose to answer it anyways.

    “Um. I think so. I just. That’s a lot. And why did I have to be almost scared to death by thinking I was getting kidnapped. You couldn't have just told me?” I snap at him with anger that I didn't realize I had. 

    “I couldn't tell you. I didn't know how! So Drew was sent to do things his way. I’m sorry, Maia.” Colton says.

    “Well that Drew kid is an ass.” Jet laughs at my comment and nods. 

     “Yes, he can be an ass but you’ll get used to him.” Jet tells me.

    “So what does this mean? Do I now have to join you’re little group of  teens?” I ask. Jet leans back in his chair and answers me.

    “You need to learn how to control you’re newfound abilities. So yes. This place is open for all Extra’s twenty-four/seven. We just want to help you, Maia.” Help. I guess I’ll need it because I don't think there’s a “How to use Telekinesis” app on my tablet.