Chapter 15: Maia

Chapter 15: Maia

Andrew was the first person they took. I was surprised that he didn't even try to fight them. He simply stood up, accepted the handcuffs and walked into an unknown room with Trevor next to him. Trevor was the only person who called Andrew by his name. Everyone else called him 387 which I have no idea what it means. It sounds like a prisoner number and my heart aches at the thought of him actually being at this laboratory before. This entire situation in catastrophic to say the least. It's still unreal to me to believe that people can keep children locked up in a cell like criminals.

I've never killed anyone. I'm a straight A student.

Colton's light snoring keeps me from going insane in this silence. He fell asleep on the tattered mattress just minutes after Andrew was escorted to one of the "research" rooms. That was four hours ago yet I have barely blinked during the time of his absence. I sit in the same corner where I had my first real mental break down and the blood stained wall proves it. My fingers trace over the multiple carved letters on the wall spelling "GET OUT". A chill runs down my spin at the thought of the person who occupied this cell before us. He or she must have gone absolutely mental.

A loud thump pulls me out of my thoughts and I get up from my spot on the floor and walk over to the metal bars to see what caused it. Andrew, now dressed in a pair of tan pants and a tan shirt, is collapsed on his knees and a trail of blood drops line up behind him. "Boy, keep walking." A bald guard says and yanks Andrew to his feet. The boy with the scarlet red face continues to walk then falls again. The guard pulls him to his feet, drags the boy the rest of the way, unlocks the cell door and pushes Andrew into the room. Andrew immediately falls to the floor but this time he doesn't try to get up again.

I'm not sure what scares me more; the condition that the boy in front of me is in or that I'm going to experience the same thing. I cup his face in my hand and look at him. One of his eyes is purple and a long cut covers his right cheek. His wrists are cut just enough so it wouldn't completely kill him. "Oh my gosh..." I hear Colton say.

Andrew opens his eyes which are now a shade darker then before. He pushes my hands away from his face and looks at me which a stir look. "Stop." He tells me with a pitch deeper then usual. I back away, surprised by his cold response.

"Stone, come with me." The guard grabs my forearm and I begin to panic. My arms are shaking and I try to pull away from his hold but I'm not strong enough.

"Just go with him. Don't fight with any of them. It might hurt but if you fight you'll end up like me." Andrew says to me. Seconds later, I am being handcuffed and walked down the hall in the same direction Andrew came from. My bare feet make an echoing noise as they hit the cold cement floor. The guard pushes me to go left then we turn left. He stops walking at a white door that is identical to all the other doors however this one has three locks instead of one and no windows at all. The bald man unlocks the door. I walk inside as instructed and the door is shut behind me with a loud bang.

My eyes adjust to the extremely lighted room and I take in everything. The walls are white and the floor shares the same color and is tiled. Mr. Reed and three people in white lab coats surround a chair that looks like one from the dentist, in the middle of the room while another person sits at a small table quickly typing on a laptop. I see Colton's sister, Blaire, next to my brother and if I wasn't so scared about what these people were going to do to me, I'd be surprised to see her. I move back and accidentally hit the door when I see a metal tray with a great amount of surgical tools who's names I do not know. My breathing increases rapidly and subconsciously my hands find the the door nob but it won't twist.

"The door is locked. You cannot get out. Change." an english accent says which can only belong to Bradley. Blaire hands me clothes that look like hospital scrubs but they are a dull brown color similar to the ones Andrew had on. I stare at the man for a few seconds. He wants me to change here in front of everyone? Not going to happen. My mind quickly changes as Bradley digs his nails into my wrist. "I know you are not deaf. Now change. Right here." I do as he says knowing that I don't have a choice so I turn around and unzip my dress, allowing it to fall to the floor. I pull the light tan top over my strapless bra and put on the same color pants which are way too long for me then sit down on the oversized chair. Blaire, who has her long blonde hair pulled up in a ponytail unlocks my cuffs. She then locks both of my wrists into two metal cuffs connected to the bed.