Chapter 6: Andrew

Chapter 6: Andrew

    Continuously, my fingers tap against the oak table in a familiar beat. I study each finger carefully as if my life depends on it. Jet’s giant hand clasps over my moving fingers, exterminating the beat. He looks down at me as I shift around in my chair. 

    “Keeping still continues to be a problem for you, doesn't it Andrew?” A half smile forms on his face and he removes his hand and takes a seat next to me. The twins have gone to sleep while Colton and Maia have gone back home. I look at Jet with tired eyes.

    “I like to stay busy.” I smirk.

    “That’s true. But do you ever just feel like sitting back and taking it easy for a day or so.” 

    “Sometimes I think about it but then I’m like, nope. I’m young, wild and free, dude. You should try it sometime.” I say. 

    “What? Did you get that from a T-shirt you saw?”

    “The shirt actually belongs to Colton’s X-girlfriend.” I get up from my seat and retrieve my leather jacket from the coat hanger next to the front door. I slip it on over my already zipped black hoodie.  

    Jet sighs from the kitchen, looking in my direction. “I was wondering why you put those jeans back on. Where are you going? It’s nearly two am.” I lace up my black and gray  sneakers. 

    I open the front door and look back at my best friend with a smirk on my lips. “It’s New York. The city never sleeps.” I shut the door behind me before Jet can tell me not to get myself killed. I take off in a jog but after an hour I slow down into a walk. The area of Brooklyn is like a picture straight out of a history book. A city in ruins. Some of the houses were rebuilt after the Revolt but nothing was ever the same. I’m not exaggerating when I say that everyone living inside the borders of Brooklyn is poor. As I walk through the moonlit alleyways, my fingers trace over the texture of the burgundy brick walls instinctively. Sapphira always told me that I probably have ADHD but whenever she brings up the diagnosis, Colton reminds her that its not ADHD. The genetic mutation in my blood stream causes me to do abnormal things. Sometimes I can’t stand still and other times even the smallest bit of anger can bring me into a rage. 

“Please. Stop!” I hear the faint sound of a girl’s voice screaming. I immediately stop in my tracks, turn around and start running in the direction of the screaming. I’m running so fast that I nearly run into the alley wall. From my place in the shadows I can see a guy in his twenties sliding his hand up a young, panicking girl’s purple tank top. A heavy coat, which I suppose belongs to the teenage girl lays on the floor in a puddle of water from this evening’s rainfall. 

    “Shhh.” A husky voice echoes against the brick walls. I fret, trying to decide if I should just look the other way or take action. My hoodie chooses for me as it pops up to cover my head and part of my face and I appear out of the shadows. 

    “Get back.” My voice fills the area, distracting the rapist from his current victim.  He pushes the girl out of the way and faces me. 

    “Hey, man. Just walk away. This doesn't involve you.” 

    “Now what kind of guy would I be if I did as you asked? You’re the one who needs to walk away, man.” I reply as the victim lays of the floor next to her soaking red coat, obviously in terror. The man looks from the girl to me, deciding which battle to pick. He picks the latter. A knife comes into my view as the guy walk towards me. Like a knife would scare me.

    “Madre de dios.” I say under my breath. Spanish. That’s the language that rolls off my tongue when adrenaline kicks in. “Come on, hombre. You don’t want to try and fight me. It’s not going to end well.”