Chapter 13: Maia

Chapter 13: Maia

My sister took it upon herself to purchase a dress, not only for herself but for me as well. Anabelle didn't even let me look at it. She came into my bedroom and told me to undress, then threw the dress over my head. "Okay, open your eyes!" She squeals and I do as I'm told. I look in the mirror in shock. It's a strapless short dress with silver sequence at the top and changes into a shiny black. There is a one in ten chance that Anabelle would pick out a dress that I would actually be pleased with. This is the one.

"It's gorgeous." I tell her and she responds by complementing herself on how she is such an excellent shopper.

"I got you silver shoes too. I would have taken them for myself but they only had eights left. So they are yours." Anabelle says and gives herself a satisfied look in the mirror. I look at the high heels and finally realize what she is up to.

"I'm not going Anabelle. The shoes and this dress are both lovely but I'm not going." I tell my sister seriously.

"Come on, Maia. You have to go. It's your best friend's party."

"It is not Colton's party." I correct her. "It is an annual charity ball hosted by Mr. Reed that Mom wants me to attend. But I'm not on speaking terms with our mother so I'm not going."

"Please go. Mai, I know what Mom said was wrong and that you are upset with Trevor. I would be mad too. But for once you and I are on the same side which means we have to stick together." She says and grabs my hand. "And I'm trying to be a good sister by telling you that you need to go to this event! Going out will be good for you even if we're only going to a place two minutes away." She smiles at me. "But I respect you and if you really aren't going then I won't go either. But keep in mind that I have a brand new custom made dress that I'm dying to show off."

I stay silent for a few seconds but I finally give in. This is one of the only times Anabelle has expressed an interest in my well being and if she is trying then I should try too. I nod my head at her. "Fine. But only because I really love this dress."

The two of us are finally ready after an intense session of make up applying and hair doing. I don't understand why Anabelle has to try so hard to look good. She looks gorgeous the moment she wakes up. But she does try and that is why we are almost two hour late to the event. She looks at herself in the full length mirror one last time, analyzing every inch of herself. Her teal dress reaches the floor and six inch sparkly black heals cover her small feet. I on the other hand, wear the dress she bought me that ends just above my knees. I let Anabelle do whatever she wanted to my hair which resulted in small tight curls pulled to one side by a diamond barrette. I cannot remember the last time I was dressed so well. It's great but at the same time a little obnoxious. I begged my sister to let me exchange my diamond barrette for a plain silver one but she refused. Something about me needing to show off everything I have. She learned it from our mother.

The living room of the Reeds' house is the same however now it is filled with people. Anabelle and I walk through the room towards two double doors. These doors have aways remained shut ever time I've been to this house but now they are wide open and leading to the room where the main event is taking place. The second I walk through the doors, soothing live music fills my ears and my vision is overwhelmed by how many well dressed and wealthy people there are in one room. The tables lined against the walls are covered in pearl table clothes and champaign glasses for every guest. A few men and women in black and white walk around the room with a variety of foods on shiny platters.

Suddenly I remember the reason why I avoided going to things like this in the first place. The people. Everyone acts like they know my life story with their hugging and ordinary comments just because they know my parents. It's exhausting. I eagerly scan the room for a familiar face so I can escape talking to everyone who sees me. Thankfully I see a young man in a suit with perfectly combed blonde hair across the room. I make my way towards Colton until I see the girl talking with him. It's the same girl who flirts with him every time she passes him in the hall at school yet Colton refuses to notice it. After countless discussions about it, he still thinks that girl only sees him as a friend. I immediately take a few steps back towards the wall, not wanting to intrude.