Chapter 19: Maia

Chapter 19: Maia

Negative anticipation is not the worst thing I’ve ever felt but it’s high up there. It’s the same feeling you get when you do something bad and you just know that your parents are going to scold you to death therefore the car ride home is terrible. Now multiply that feeling times time a hundred. 

    That is exactly what I feel the moment that I hear the gun go off only a few feet away. They are here and they are going to take us back and this time we will not be able to escape. My mind is screaming the worst but most obvious future for me. I don’t want to go back. I can’t. The little voice in my head yells at me to fight for myself yet I remain crouched down in the spot where Andrew told me to stay put. 

    Hearing and smelling are the only senses that I have available to me because if I even try to look out from my hiding spot, someone is bound to spot me. Therefore, all I can do is squat here and listen to the sound of guns and voices that I cannot make out as the stench of gunpowder fills my nose and lungs. I hear footsteps make their way in my direction and I’m barely able to stop myself from shaking. 

    The anticipation is nearly terminating. I can feel someone approach me as I squeeze my eyes shut even though there is no reason to but then I remember the gun. I carefully reach for the weapon that is tucked into the waistband of my pants. Despite my hesitation, Jet had forced everyone to carry a gun with them before we left the hotel. He taught me where the safety lock was and how to fire it without potentially killing myself instead.

    Pointing the gun outward, I hold my trembling finger over the trigger waiting for the person to show his face. Within seconds, a man appears in front of me. He looks like a member of the riot control in his all black and bullet proof attire however he has no helmet but instead he wears a simple black bandana that covers everything from his nose to his neck. I don’t fire my gun as my eyes discover that he has one as well except his is much larger. 

    “Don’t be foolish. Put the gun down.” He says. Suddenly, I think I hear the sound of a helicopter close by. Hope. This weapon is the only thing that could possibly give me safety. I disobey his orders. “Miss. Stone, I am not afraid to shoot you. This is your last chance. Put the gun down.” My gun stays up because I am truly stupid. Without another warning, I watch the agent’s finger pull his trigger and I do the same. The only difference is that he actually hits his target. The gun drops out of my hand and for a moment there is nothing. 

    But then I feel it. 

    An agonizing, burning sensation cascades around my right shoulder as I almost fall to my knees. “Sorry love but I have orders.” An almost unnoticeable british accent trails over his voice. I first think he could be Bradley but I push that option out of my head quickly as I see the man’s eyes. They are not as cruel as Bradley’s and the man’s face is not as aged. He looks young. This is Damian. He catches me from falling and drags me into the main area where I see a dozen people dressed exactly like him.

    There is so much action I can’t even comprehend it. I only see Andrew, Jet and Sapphira and I pray that the rest are in the giant helicopter that hovers above us. Our rescue has finally showed up and now the only thing we have to do is climb up those ladder steps and all is good. It is easier said than done when you have people shooting at you. 

     Two men in black clothing are at the foot of the helicopter, trying to board it but Andrew is there fighting them back. Three other people lay at his feet, most likely dead because after all, he is a killer. He’s said it himself. I shake the thrilling thought from my head and try to focus on escaping from Damian’s hold. I have no weapon, he is twice my size and I have a bullet inside my flesh. The odds are not looking well for me but regardless, I must try. I see a woman approach an unarmed Sapphira and my breath catches in my throat.